Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How do I register my 67 with the original plates?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 05:40 PM
QuakeReaper

Default How do I register my 67 with the original plates?

Can anyon give me an insight of what it takes to register a vehicle with its original plates?

I have a '67 Mustang which was last registered in 1984, so that license plate number was no longer in the DMV system. My dad bought this vehicle from the original owner in the early 70's. I then inherited it when he passed away.

I just got it registered last year (2004) and I was issued the newer license plates. Well, I found the original black/yellow license plates and would like to have these on the car. By the way, it is PNO (Planned Non-Operational) for the moment until I begin work on it. I have a photocopy of a registration certificate, that shows that the license plates are indeed the originals, but with the orginal owner's name on it. I was told at the DMV that I need to submit a statement of facts along with my original plates to Sacramento so they can determine if I can use these plates. What happens if they deny the plates; are they going to confiscate them? I don't want to take that chance, but how else am I suppose to attempt to use the originals?
Old 03-30-2005, 08:43 PM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How do I register my 67 with the original plates?

There's no telling how many hoops California is going to make you jump through (before they tell you it can't be done)! But here in Texas, you just bolt 'em on, and pay an extra $15 per year.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:33 PM
Moparman87
3rd Gear Member

here in nova scotia canada we only need the back plate we dont need to put a front plate on our car! Unless we got custom tags!
Old 03-31-2005, 08:15 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Just give the DMV a call and ask them.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:24 AM
Texas 67

I have asked about that here in Texas also and a lot of people sell old plates. If the plates haven't been registered in several years it is like Dan said...just bolt them on. I can't imagine that it would be a lot different in your state. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:03 PM
TBIAgent69
1st Gear Member

Well, the DMF isn't exactly easy to deal with, and the fact that you get a different story from each counterperson you talk to doesn't help either. In the DMV office there is a big book that has all the personalized plates registered in the state. What I'd reccomend doing, since you already have it registered, is to request personalized plates that are the same as the originals. That way, if and when you get that approved you just put your registration sticker on the old ones. Sound like a plan? I know personalized ones are expensive, but that's probably the only sure fire way they'll let you do it.

In the future, when you go to register a car that's been out of the loop for a while, just register it with the original plate info. I know it doesn't apply in this case because you didn't have them until recent, but just a word of advice.

Hope it helps, and good luck!