Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Gas Fumes

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Gun Jam

Default RE: Gas Fumes

Probably not to that extent
check the floats as suggested
Old 02-18-2008, 10:12 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

If the garage is closed there is no room for the gas to escape. So it is kept inside and you are smelling the fumes. Happens even if even a drop of gas hits something inside the garage. That is why they say start the car after the garage door is open.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:53 AM
falconfixer
1st Gear Member

Meh.
It is very subjective, but i have had floats stick and the gas flowing into the manifold until the bowl emptied.

I would run the car until hot, remove the air cleaner and shut it off. If you get a misty cloud rising up from the carb - that is unburnt fuel flowing down into the hot intake and vaporising.

Also - a pinhole leak would only occur under pressure - so check for leaks while running as well. Uh, just don't use a a lit match to help see.... [:-]
Old 02-19-2008, 07:58 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

in my opinion there should be _no_ gas escaping. It doesn't do that in mine and if it would I'd check on why.
Put it this way: if the smell wasn't there before the carb was changed, then something must be wrong.

in the garage with the full odour you'll have a hard time finding where it's leaking.
At the same time it might be dangerous if it gets on the coil or near sparks (fire hazzard as in one of the post previously here), so check it out.

I had the exact same problem and for me it actually was the inline metal fuel filter that is attached to the carb.
The PO probably used pliers to attach it instead of a wrench and so the housing split under the thread.
I found a little pool of gas just under it, which could have been mistaken with water.

At the same time, hoses that are so old and get moved around alot in a carb exchange. So one of them might have slipped a little, or maybe broke/tore.

In the garage you'll have a hard time to find if its from tank or front, so take the car outside. when it's aired for a good while then you should only have the smell where it's coming from, or not at all anymore. If the smell is gone, start the car and leave run for 1 minute, switch off.
See if it starts smelling again.

If a car really smells kile petrol (mine did before I fixed it), then I'm positive you'll have a tiny puddle of petrol on engine or dripping to the ground or similar.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:08 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

and to answer your question: you're right. the car shouldn't stink of petrol.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:11 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

.. and to answer your question. no classic casrs shouldn;t stink of petrol. even when carburated.
Mine doesn't and if it did I'd be concerned
Old 02-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Hotrod68
1st Gear Member

I agree with several of the other posters here. Sounds to me like you have fuel leaking somewhere. Check all fuel lines and all connections while the engine is running, and check to see if fuel is leaking from the bowls and into the manifold when the car is turned off.
Also, make sure the carb is tuned right for your car. If you're running rich, there can be a fuel-ish smell in the air after your car has been running.