Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A question or two

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 01:17 AM
GoldSchlager120

Default A question or two

So I'm looking to buy my first mustang. I'm 21 years old and have plenty of time for a project, I'm also getting outta the military in a couple of years and have been saving up for one. For me I just need a model that supports the 351 motor, which almost all do. My truck has that motor so I'm already fluent with it. I like the late sixety's to early seventies models, specifically the '70 Mach 1, but I can adapt to about any of the models in that year range.

Question 1 is: Is there a specific model that someone would prefer for starting out with, to make there baby?
Question 2 is: How should I go about finding one? There are plenty of already restored models on the market for top dollar, but I want to do the restorting myself. Or is it possible to aquire a "clone kit" build it yourself type deal?
Old 03-02-2008, 01:29 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: A question or two

If you look in local auto traders you can usually find decent project cars if you're patient.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:30 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Welcome!

I love my 69 mach 1, its an amazing car. Practically any year would be great to start out with and make your baby. However if you want to put a 351w in, it would be easiest in a 67 and up, the 65/66 engine bays are smaller so the fit is very tight, but has been done. And if you get a 69 and up, they came with 351w in them, so you might be able to find a car with that engine already, or if not it would be very easy to put it in, just need the right motor mounts (which are cheap and easily accessible).

Also, coupes are less expensive and more plentiful compared to fastbacks. They are only less expensive because there is more out there, so the demand is less. Also for some reason people tend to like the fastbacks more (but not everyone), but that definitely does not many the coupes are not as good.

Oh and another thing is the practically every nut and bolt from top to bottom is made for the 65/66, and the 67/68's are practically the same way. However with 69/70's some parts are harder to come by or are more expensive, since the reproduction market is newer to the 69/70's. And for 71-73's, the reproduction's are even harder to come buy for certain things, but more and more things are being made.

And to answer question 2, I would search a lot on craigslist.org, that is kinda how I found my mach, and is how a lot of people have found their cars. It works well for finding parts as well.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:05 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

theres not really a specific model that people tend too want to start with, unless you want a tralier queen then it would be something rare, but you seem like the average make it your own joe, so i suggest finding a ny model mustang round 67-73 that already has a v8 in it. the swap form a 6 too an 8 is very time consuming and expensive, i would also look for one thats not a rust bucket, but remember, every car is going too have rust, try looking on craigslist or ebay. i was actually looking for a 69 fastback but couldnt find one in my price range for over a year, and i dont want too say i settled for a coupe because honestly, it has grown on me and i am glad i dont have a fastback, cause i would be too scared too drive it around. lol
Old 03-02-2008, 04:02 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Well 64-66 the 351 is a tight fit but will fit 67-73 any small block and both big blocks fit fine.Try craigslist.org http://ww2.collectorcartrader.com/ ebay is ok if you look at the car in person before buying.You can clone a shelby mustang with a fastback or even a boss its not hard to do.Just pick out what years you like and with body coupe fastback covertible then start car hunting it took me 6 months to find my 68 coupe but im looking for a 71-73 fastback for my 2nd mustang good luck keep us updated if you get one.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:29 AM
dugan
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the eBay. That is where I found mine...be weary though, I got mine sight-un-seen. Come to think that was probably kinda dumb, $4000 to someone I have never met, with pictures that you don't know how old they are..I got lucky I guess.
Why don't you personalize it alittle rather than make a clone?

Make it you're own, not a clone!