Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

AOD update

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:46 PM
smith17135

Default AOD update

i have a 67 /w a 289 c4 looking to put an aod in it. i have an aod out of a 86 ltd station wagon. has anyone done this before or have any thoughts on this. just lookin to see what im getting myself into.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:11 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Default RE: AOD update

I'm assuming that the '86 had a throttle-body EFI, so I hope you also have the throttle valve cable from that car- the AOD uses throttle position for more than just gear selection. If not, you'll have to get one (it's been a dozen years or so and I can't remember offhand where I had to get one, but I probably still have the receipt)

Warning: you will burn the AOD up in a hundred miles if you try to adapt the C4's straight mechanical link. It's got something to do with internaloil pressures as well as shift timing, and the TV cable is something that requires adjustment once it's installed. I might still have the adjustment instructions, and FWIW I do remember tweaking the thing a tooth or two one way or the other to get a final setting that I was happy with.

This also means that any choice in headers or other exhaust work absolutely has to work around where the TV cable needs to run. Not the other way around (giving the exhaust first call on the available space). At least one long-tube header design absolutely will not work (forget whose headers, but that wasn't my screw-up or my AOD when that happened anyway).

It's a good upgrade once you get the TV cable stuff straightened away. IIRC, there's little (if any) modification required to get the floor shifter linkage working and indexed correctly.

Norm
Old 03-12-2008, 08:37 AM
smith17135

i believe LOKAR makes all the cables i need, and as far as exhaust, its pretty much stock. this car is not a hotrod more just a cruzer.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:52 AM
66FB06GT
1st Gear Member

I was doing an AOD swap, but it lost steam (bought and 06 Mustang GT back in October). I did a ton of research, and have alot of AOD parts for sale right now. PM me if you need anything specific.

There are a ton of resources out on the net. Check out some of these

http://www.becontrols.com/tech/tech.htm
http://www.themustangshop.com/c4toaod.cfm
http://www.mustangandfords.com/howto...wap/index.html
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html#

The Lokar cable is the way to go from my research. There are not too many options for it. You said your exhaust is pretty much stock. That is a good thing. Most long tube headers won't clear the massive width of the transmission. Supposedly my Hedman Elites would work, but I haven't done a test fit to make sure.

This should get you started...
Old 03-14-2008, 08:08 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

check out www.clickclickracing.com that is the best place to go for aod info. a guy there named starfury is a huge help
Old 03-15-2008, 05:51 PM
deadcarnahans
3rd Gear Member

I made my TV cable from a clutch cable for a motorcycle. The jam nuts are on the carb end for easy adjustment.
Hedman shorty headers are a good fit. Long tubes need to be modified and are still too tight for comfort but can be made to work. LTs also touch the tranny case at the bell flange requiring trimming of the case.
Made new crossmember from steel stock.
Reground the lands in the shifter to match the detent spacing in the tranny.
Bent the hell out of the shifter rod to keep it from binding in the now stuffed tunnel.
The lever in the tranny can be removed and installed 180 out if required.
Shift kit and cooler is a must. TV limit valve spacer is a must. Contact Baumann.
88 and newer trannies are best.
You need the large flexplate with 164 teeth from a C6 or flarecase C4.
Check drive shaft length. Use AOD yoke.
Speedometer cable will be short. Have new one made.
Did not hook up back up lights or neutral safety switch.
What else?