Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Newbie help with Carb selection / intake -- Thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 05:24 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Default Newbie help with Carb selection / intake -- Thanks!

Thanks guys and gals,

Just bought a new Mustang! Im currently working with a serious buyer in Lorain OH to move my 67 6 cyl I posted about a while ago becuase of this new car.

The details:

Grandpa was an airplane mechanic in WWII, this was one the last projects he worked on.

65 Coupe (ariz/flor car, zero rust ever, suspension is fine, brakes are fine, no dents, in primer, was Vintage Burgundy with black interior and a 3 spd manual from the factory, orignal interior, a little ragged, but not bad at all)
68 302 4v w/headers & upgraded dual exhaust, not suped up, basically stock engine build.
68 4-spd manual

$2800!!!!!!!!!

Zero metal work required! Such a relief. I much prefer the 67 body style, but as they say, they aren't making Mustangs my grandfather worked on anymore.

---

According to my uncle, the carb is shot. Another uncle confirmed this. I dont want to beat a dead horse over who likes which brand carb, but I am a relative newbie and need to ask a couple questions:

1) If I want to end up with around 250-275 HP and I already have exhaust covered and dont want to do gt40 heads etc, can I get this range of HP by carb/exhaust alone? What CFM or features should I look for in a carb? (BTW, I am leaning manual choke for simplicities sake as the car is already set up that way). If anyone else has a 302 with this range of HP, what carb do you use? Thanks.

--

FYI, I am not looking for more HP than this in the future, long run Id like to put my $$$ into paint and handling. I looked in the FAQ and couldnt quite find the answer to this.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:25 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie help with Carb selection / intake -- Thanks!

Also, should I get a matching intake for whatever carb I pick up?

Thanks for your patience with a newbie.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:44 PM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

your probably gonna get 10 different answers but ill throw in my 2 cents. i think youll be fine with a performer intake and 500 cfm carb. if you want to hit your horsepower mark slide in a performer cam while you have the intake off that should put you right at 250-275 with a good tune and itll have a nice idle, crisp throttle response, you dont have to upgrade the intake but to hit your hp mark i think youll need to.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:18 AM
Montanas Mustang
1st Gear Member

Wrenchturner75 is right...

1) Get a nice cam upgrade (pretty easy...even for a first timer if you follow the instructions..especially if you have the intake off anyway for #2)

2) Performer intake (or the Summit knock-off).

3) No bigger than a 600cfm carb (regardless of brand). If your already set-up for a manual choke...stick with it...I am not a fan of electric chokes. How big is the air cleaner on it now? If it is stock...UPGRADE...one of the cheapest ways to increase the flow through your engine.

4) Upgrade your ignition. Get a drop in no-points from one of the major suppliers (Accel, MSD, etc). Doesn't have to be a real high dollar one, just get rid of the points/old style coil set-up.

5) You said you have dual exhaust but...do you have an x-pipe or h-pipe? I am a firm believer in them. Equalization of back pressure is one of the easiest ways to make horsepower.

Remember an engine is just a big air pump that the gasoline keeps running. The easier it is for the engine to take IN air and the easier it is for it to push air OUT...the more of the energy of the gasoline can be put to turning the wheels! And that's what we are ALL after!

#'s 2,3,4,5 above should get you at or close to where you want. Add in #1 and you should make it EASY.

Hope this helps.
[align=center] [/align]
Old 04-12-2008, 06:01 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

the 525 cfm road demon is suggested quite often here. and yes get an aftermarket intake manifold, like the edlebrock performer 2121 or the weiand 8124
+1 on all the aboves said

Old 04-12-2008, 09:53 AM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Thank you both!

I genuinely appreciate it.

The car is in primer now and for s$%ts and giggles(and since I have some mechanical things to do for now and real paint costs too much) I want to paint it WWII green (olive drab?). Like Flying Tigers green. One of my Uncles is an artist and did a lot of work on his "vacation" in Vietnam back in the late 60s early 70s. He is going to do a pin up girl on the rear quarter panel. I am going to put some black, regular steel wheels on it too. For now, it'll be a hot rod, and later it will have a nice vintage burgundy paint job.

Thanks again for your input.