Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Problems starting the engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 10:30 AM
skiter

Default Problems starting the engine

Hey guys, first of all thanks for all the posts. I learn a lot just by reading the posts and responses.
I have a little problem of my own. I'll try to be brief.
I'm in the military and I just moved to Germany. Of course, I had to take my pony with me. Once I picked it up from the shipping lot where it sited for about three months under bunch of snow( I had it under cover) I started it on the third try. Not bad!
I drove it home, with the very little gas it had in it. I have underground, lockable parking garage and it sit there for about two weeks. When I came to start it again, it would do it. The very little gas that it had there before turned into "no gas". I bought 1.5 gallon of gas in local gas station and put that in. But my lovely pony still won't start!
I have gas in see-thru filter. I have gas dripping down in carburetor when I pull on the throttle link. So I have gas. This entire cranking up and long time sitting killed my battery. Now I have to connect jump starter every time I try. The damn underground parking is dark! The only light is in the hallway, so I have to play with flashlights.
Because I failed inspection that you have to go trough here before you get your new plates, I got temporary plates that are good only for a month. After that, it will be renewal for another $30. And so on.
Things are not getting any easier here. I need to get this thing started so I can take it to local auto hobby shop where I can adjust my parking breaks, which caused my failing inspection. So, I can get my regular plates.
How do I get this think started? Do I just keep cranking until it will finally catch on? Or is there like a “cheap trick” that will help me? Please help!
By the way, you guys rock!
Old 04-18-2005, 10:40 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Problems starting the engine

If you are getting gas, then it must be an ignition problem. Make sure the coil wire is firmly attached. Open the dizzy, turn the engine over by hand until the points are on the flat side, then turn on the key. using a screw driver, open the points and see if you get spark there. If so, then make sure the points are adjusted and not staying closed or opening too far. Check the choke butterfly in the carb to make sure it is closed. Pour a little gas down the venturi of the carb. When you ran it dry, you emptied the bowl, so it will take some more gas to get the bowl filled up. Then, with a new fresh heavy duty battery in it, pump the gas pedal while cranking. Get back to us if this still doesn't work.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:55 AM
TBIAgent69
1st Gear Member

Hey man, that's totally awesome that you could bring your stang with you! I have to wait a year to see mine again. Anyway, like Soaring said, try the spark thing to see if the points are firing, but have the end of the coil wire that hooks up to the distro cap unplugged and about 1/4" away from a grounded surface. With it dark in there, you should be able to see a spark pretty clearly. That will ensure your coil is working as well as your points. Also, pull a spark plug to see if it's fouled. Maybe you poured too much gas in to the carb when you added gas? Is the engine trying to start, or is it more like just turning over without anything happening?
Old 04-18-2005, 02:13 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, if it's flooded, then wait a day or so, and try again. Or, put the gas pedal on the floor and keep it there while cranking. The important thing though, is that you have adequate cranking power from your battery. It has to spin that starter as fast as it can.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:42 PM
jelam
2nd Gear Member

dude that sucks but at least you get to take your car with you. i'm going to the army and wanna go to germany and try to get a mustang before i leave but it'll probley have to stay here
Old 04-18-2005, 03:56 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Taking your Vintage Mustang overseas will turn a lot of heads, but the problem lies in getting parts to repair them while overseas. I live overseas, and I decided to not take my Mustangs with me primarillary because of the rust problems with shipping over the Atlantic ocean. And, while in Gertmany, they put salt on the roads during the winter to melt the snow and ice. Think about it.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:05 PM
jelam
2nd Gear Member

if i get one i'm gonna try and find one that has just been fully restored
Old 04-18-2005, 04:29 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Restored by whom?
Old 04-18-2005, 04:37 PM
jelam
2nd Gear Member

i don't know i was gonna try and find one on ebay that has been restored unless you know someone in texas that will restore them because i don't really wanna take the time to do it
Old 04-18-2005, 05:06 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Then you don't want to restore a vintage mustang. That takes special skills and kowledge.

Quick Reply: Problems starting the engine