Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

67 coupe daily drive, OPINIONS appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:23 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: 67 coupe daily drive, OPINIONS appreciated.

something must have been wrong with the 01gt to only get 12mpg

i get 28mpg out of my 5.0
Old 05-07-2008, 10:12 AM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

I bought my car a few months ago. The guy was asking $8,500 and I talked him down to just under $8k.

My advice however is have a mechanic check it out for a second opinion.

I test drove the one I bought and thought it needed a serious brake job and some front end work. The motor seemed to be in really good shape and the tranny seemed to be in good shape as well.

But just to be safe, I took it to a friend of mine who has a shop. I could somewhat look under the car in the guy's drive way but nothing like getting it up on a lift where you can really look at the underside not to mention I really wanted a second opinion from an uninterested person.

My friend confirmed my assessment 100% as to what the car needed and that there was no excessive rust, etc.

It is easy to get excited and totally miss something so I opted for a second set of eyes to make sure I wasn't missing something. If you go look at it, take a buddy or it would be well worth taking the car to a local shop just to be safe.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:16 PM
dugan
2nd Gear Member

I am willing to bet that the dash is bubbled, and possibly cracked.. Notice the floor mat on the top of the dash pad on the drivers side, looks to me like they are trying to cover something up. I also find it odd that there are no pics of framerails, underside, or any mention about rust in the description. My 67 coupe was $4000 on ebay, but it had no AC, no PB, PS, and it was an auto. It also needs some body work, paintjob, and some interior. Good luck!
Old 05-07-2008, 06:55 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

SJs 66 Coupe gives sound advice. People cover up stuff in pictures so you'll come look at it, fall in love with it and overlook it's flaws. I'll admit, I've fallen for it myself in the past. Having someone with you will improve your chances of NOT having that happen to you.

I take my wife with me, she can nit-pick with the best of them. Just find someone who will point out stuff you may overlook. They really don't even need to know much about cars, as long as you know the 'usual suspect' places to check and let them know in advance.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:26 PM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

I bought my 67 with a C4 and a worn out engine: I felt in love with it immediately (amazing car when you are 22 yo and you are freshly arrived in the US), and got it for $8,200. After less than a year, I have spent more than double to make it exactly the way I want (and still need a paint ).

So to me, you would be paying a little bit too much on that one.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Hot70Mach1
2nd Gear Member

THANKS! for all the advice.

i finally went to check the car out today. and ill say this im throuughly impressed witht he car. its not drag king but its a solid foundation.

ill start from the top and work my way down.

1. the major question about the frame rails and the floor boards are to be extinguished with cinfidence. i checked it all out and it all looks very solid. very little rust on the car at all. the pain bubbles on the fron bottom fender and the bottom quarter. but it dosent even break paint. and the floorboards and frame rails are clear.

2. the interior is spot on for such a car. obviously not concours. but no rips or tears and the dash is NOT cracked or ruined. the only flaw is that the shifter boot was removed but thats like $20 maybe? cant be that much.

3. the paint is not original, apparently th ecar used to be a light blue and was repainted white. the paint job was a quality job when it was painted. which looks like an 80s paint job. because the clear is coming off and there are little nicks in the paint. but from ten feet away you cant tell the diffreence and it dosent matter because ill paint it within two months to highland green.

all the chrome needs to be brightend up or re dipped but its all there.

4. the car drives and starts up just fine. the tires are worn out and skinnys but itll make th etrip between tampa and orlando. i plan on replacing wheels and tires within a month or so of getting the car.

5. mechanically it all looks legit. the air conditioning is even cold.

i am going back on sunday to talk numbers and make final negotiations. so keep your fingers crossed. if somone else offers to buy it i left my number and ill make a deposit before sunday.

ill put up my own fotos. any last concerns im not thinking of. i spent about an hour looking it over. im pretty meticulus and ive been careful not to get too attatched to this particular car. im not rushing and im not married to it. so any honest concerns are appreciated.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Hot70Mach1
2nd Gear Member

also ive lost my handy dandy mustang recognition guide with the code listing in the back.

is there a place i can decode the vin on the internet?
Old 05-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Yup.. right here.. http://www.mustangdecoder.com/
Old 05-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Hot70Mach1
2nd Gear Member

THANKS

adrenolin if you dont mind me asking did you install PS and PB on your 67? if so how intricate was the install?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Hot70Mach1
2nd Gear Member

resulsts of the decode are that it is indeed a 67 coupe with a 289 2v with a 3 on the floor and a 2.79 rear. standard black interior and was first sold in wasington dc area.

the original color code and plant code i could not decipher but the color under the white is light blue and im not worried about the plant.

bottom line. im feeling some new cams/valvtrain/holley and a new gear ratio with a T5 in between.