Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

hp/ tq calcs

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 08:45 AM
69thunder
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: hp/ tq calcs

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

I've never seen a truely honest test of muscle era engines. Dynos can be very decieving, either unintentionally or intentionally. The fact of the matter is that 600hp isn't all that easy to coax out of a big block these days(it can be done, but requires decent parts and costs decent money), and it sure ain't gonna happen with a stock flat tappet cam and low voltage ignition, maybe not even with stock heads. The few times I've seen actual STOCK(I mean truely stock engine) muscle cars run, their trap speeds didn't show anything close to the kinda of horsepower they supposedly had.

The problem is that you're not likely to find an actual stock engine any more. The ones that claim to be stock are often rebuilt using much more modern parts, and because the intake and heads are the same someone says it's stock. The fact of the matter is from the outside there's no way you could tell the difference between a stock 427 with a flat tappet cam, and a wild *** solid rollered 427 stroker with worked stock heads and intake. Too many people like to play the "Oh, yeah, it's stock" game, when the fact is it's anything but stock.
Very true, however that was the whole premiss of the show I saw. All stock except for newer plugs oil etc and if rebuilt built to stock specs,no roller cams or anything of the like unless it came that way from the factory. I know people lie all the time, heck I do it all the time all I know for sure is the show I saw had no favorites in fact it was put on by a guy who is a chevy fan. I love my mustang and Fords from that era but there is no doubt the 426 hemi was the MOST powerfull engine design then and one could argue today since all top fuel engines are based on the Hemi design.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Even the flat-tappet hydraulic cam profiles available in recent years are significantly better than what was actually in production use back in the 60"s. Back in the day, the SBC "151" (an abbreviation of its part number) cam was THE hot street cam. Any number of newer cams are much better at power/torque and driveability, and the really powerful new ones are much more so. So it's still not necessarily a true "apples to apples" comparison.

Norm
Old 06-11-2008, 10:25 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Norm Peterson

Even the flat-tappet hydraulic cam profiles available in recent years are significantly better than what was actually in production use back in the 60"s. Back in the day, the SBC "151" (an abbreviation of its part number) cam was THE hot street cam. Any number of newer cams are much better at power/torque and driveability, and the really powerful new ones are much more so. So it's still not necessarily a true "apples to apples" comparison.

Norm
+10,000

The factory replacement code cams from Comp are lightyears ahead of the original grinds. They're designed to produce the same sound and operate in the same rpm range, but make far more power.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:22 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

iirc, the hemi engine they tested in that show did have a replacement cam. While stock hemi motors were absolute monsters from the factory, a modern cam grind goes a long way. I don't think the original street motors made 600+hp. 500-550 might be more believable.

I'd like to know how the 427 cammer motor did on a dyno, though