Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Classic mustang daily driver ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Jaded
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
actually what's the problem driving a car in the snow unless they have salt on the road.
i find our constant rain much worse ...
I learned to drive in Michigan, but I live in New Mexico. When it does rain here, it usually sprinkles. This is enough to bring the oils up in the road which make it very slick. If it is a heavy rain the car is fine, but that one wheel spinning combined with power makes for fun turns.

Here's the snow part. Snow in the upper North tends to be just that, snow. The roads are packed snow. I never thought it was all that hard to drive on. Snow in the desert isn't just snow. It tends to melt quickly at first so you just have wet roads. Then the temperature falls, and the water freezes while it continues to snow. So we usually have ice with snow on top. I've been caught in this quite a few times. The Mustang is just too light, too powerful, and with one tire spinning not too much fun to drive in snow. I much prefer my 4x4 dually in the snow.

That said, I did make it home everytime, but the big hills out here were an adventure.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

I think they outlawed salt on roads in Colorado years ago.

Salt is bad for DDs. Also, the snow is drier when there's no salt used so their cars might not be so corroded. Driving on dry snow is fun.

CP
Old 10-14-2008, 05:29 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

And by the way Carlos, I love your ride. That's the best daily driver I could ever imagine
Old 10-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

Thanks, man. It has been through several looks, including 9 different sets of wheels. I think I'm going to stick with the classic SSs, so it's correct for the period. I would like to put on a set of KH knock-off wires, but I would need an extra several grand burning a hole in my pocket for the conversion and the wheels first.

I just did some changes to the look since the sig pic and will post new pics soon. BTW, your rig is a beast. Nice.

CP
Old 10-14-2008, 05:38 PM
unit91
3rd Gear Member

What 2v do you have?
Old 10-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
actually what's the problem driving a car in the snow unless they have salt on the road.
i find our constant rain much worse ...
The problem isn't so much us driving our cars in the snow. I can drive fine on the snow, born and raised here in Wyoming snow is just a part of life. The problem is people who cannot drive on the snow. Few years ago a college student who wasn't from here front-ended our truck+trailer parked in front of our house because he didn't know how stop properly and plowed through a stop sign, a big dip and into the front of our truck. It scratched the paint on our grille guard, totaled his car.

So there's the problem.... other people. You simply cannot count on other people being as prepared or knowledgeable about snow driving as you are. You can be the best snow driver there is in one of these old mustangs, but all it takes is one moron going too fast to stop and you lose your mustang because of it.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:20 PM
SalikDDD
3rd Gear Member

i daily drive my 67.. but now i recently purchased...a.. :|

VW Beetle for gas. lol..
Old 10-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nabster
...all it takes is one moron going too fast to stop and you lose your mustang because of it.
Very true. Even in rural areas you will pass someone who probably can't drive, or they will pass you. With front disc brakes at best snow driving takes a bit of skill. Most people blow it by going too fast.

CP
Old 10-14-2008, 11:20 PM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

Yup. Before all the work on ours was done the few times I did drive it on icy roads were with 100+ lbs of sand bags in the trunk and very gingerly from stop to stop. Now I've got a supercharged Grand Prix for the winter driving
Old 10-15-2008, 01:37 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gothand
Pops wouldn't let you take the car to school, huh? To be honest, I'd be scared to leave it parked outside too. Call me paranoid, but after reading about that guy in Santa Monica who got his fastback stolen shortly after completing the resto, I'm hesitant to leave mine parked anywhere as well.

BTW, how are you liking SLO? Used to spend some time up near there at Los Osos/Morro Bay and really liked it.
Nice to hear from you Jeff, check your PM

Quick Reply: Classic mustang daily driver ?