Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

HEY its bullitt. steering box question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 12:11 AM
67BullittCoupe
3rd Gear Member

Default HEY its bullitt. steering box question?

okay so its come down to two issues with my 67 before i can trust it daily, i need to get rid of the front suspension wobble while driving, and so far ive traced the loosness to the steering box. right now im kinda strapped for cash, surprise. so my question is does anyone know of another ford that uses the same steering box? id rather not pay 400 for a new one, im not driving it hard, and i think that a good condition used part would suffice for now.

if not any good ideas besides a flaming river unit?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:19 AM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

werent you selling it?
Old 11-14-2008, 10:09 AM
67BullittCoupe
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by racin66coupe
werent you selling it?
alas i was, but my parents didnt want me to sell it because they know i love the car but i still need something better for this side of town (in the city)

so they told me for now the car "belongs to my dad" which means hes responsible for it. and he "gave" me the other mustangs to sell and im allowed the cash from those to put towards the new car.

its been back and forth over here. money isnt tight, becaues theres no money!

but im still trying to get going on this new mustang deal.

and as for rebuilding, i saw a post on that, but i dont really know how that goes down, can i bring it to a place, or ship it out? if so how much is that going to be.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:55 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

My steering is really loose too. The first thing you can do is adjust the steering box, search for tightening the steering or something.

On the box you will see a long threaded thing with a slit on the top and a nut locking it on the bottom. If I recall correctly, I was told to jack the front end up, turn the steering all the way to the left, then undo the locking nut. Once you have that loose take a screwdriver and tighten the stud until you begin to feel it rub. Once it rubs back it off just a little bit so it's not rubbing. After that retighten the locking nut and you should have tighter steering. It took out about half the steering in my car and I have a feeling I could tighten it even more.

This might be a good solution for short term before you have to buy a new one, if the play in your steering isn't too bad then it might fix it completely.

Also I think the tie rods being warn affects your steering play as well, but I may be wrong. Try the steering box adjustment first
Old 11-15-2008, 11:15 AM
67BullittCoupe
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4reboy

Also I think the tie rods being warn affects your steering play as well, but I may be wrong. Try the steering box adjustment first

thanks i will try this, my steering is getting worse the more i drive it, it definatly has play, but the wheels are beginging to shake, i do not know if this is because of steering wheel being loose or worn steering parts.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:56 AM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

could be bearings or balljoints as well (the shaking)
Old 11-15-2008, 03:38 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67BullittCoupe
thanks i will try this, my steering is getting worse the more i drive it, it definatly has play, but the wheels are beginging to shake, i do not know if this is because of steering wheel being loose or worn steering parts.
It could be both worn steering parts and just the box being loose. Try to do the adjustment I said in my above post, it will take a good amount of play out of your steering.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:23 PM
67BullittCoupe
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by racin66coupe
could be bearings or balljoints as well (the shaking)

we thought that and we checked the bearings. they looked good.

ball joints is something we should check, so thanks for reminding us. really the steering and the carb issues are whats keeping the car from being driven and enjoyed more.