Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Cleaning the engine bay.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 08:07 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

When I redid my engine bay I sandblasted it, self-etching primer, epoxy primer, then semi-flat black paint. came out sweet!

You should have fun with this project of yours, the results will make you smile every time you open the hood. Keep us updated!

Here's one after pic of my engine bay

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...y/IMG_5151.jpg
Old 12-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Joe67
Banned

4reboy... is that a replacement rad support, most of the ones i have seen have ripples in them, yours looks to be completely free from waves
Old 12-24-2008, 10:02 PM
guybored
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the inspiration guys, it gets me anxious to work on the car and finish it up. Hopefully it will look as nice as the ones you all have posted. JMD I was wondering why did you put the texture on the bottom half of the bay and why gray? When I woke up I went to buy some paint stripper. I stopped at a store and they told me that a gallon was $65, they didn't have anything smaller. I went to another place and they told me that they had it for $45, I am thinking that I messed up by buying a quart for $13. I might just wait and go back on Sat to return it and get the gallon instead. What do yo guys think? I noticed that too 4reboy, mine has waves up and down. You will never know what is underneath untill you remove parts. I am happy that I decided to remove the fenders. It has some rust but not as bad. I have a leaking cowl and I am debating if I should take advantage that the fenders are off and fix that. My goal for today was to pull the motor, got close enough but I wasn't able to pull it out. I didn't buy a hoist and my brothers friend said he would lend me his but he never called me back. I will call him tomorrow and hopefully he will lend it to me if not I am going to have to buy one. I have everything ready to remove just left the trans bolt and motor mounts on, they are half way off. Hopefully I will be able to work on it tomorrow, if not then till Friday. Merry Christmas you all have fun and be careful.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Joe67
Banned

hehehe if you really cant get a hold of an engine crane do what me and my uncle did on his scumaro, we parked it underneath this great big tree branch and used a come along to pull the motor out, it wasnt as bad as it sounds
Old 12-24-2008, 10:36 PM
guybored
2nd Gear Member

I am doing something similar to that. That is what he was going to lend me (come along) but I didn't know what was the name of it in English. I just knew it in Spanish. Years ago my dad would rebuild motor and mostly every time he would pull them out right there.

I just noticed the date was off when I took those pics.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:00 AM
71stang99
1st Gear Member

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...9/IMG_1658.jpg

I have been toiling on my engine installation and bay upgrade so this is my progress pick. All of the red is powder coated.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:41 PM
guybored
2nd Gear Member

Ok I got some progress done. The guy who was suppose to lend me the come along didn't answer so I thought ok tomorrow I will go buy a new or stop at an EZPawn. While being at my brothers I told him his friend didn't come through. He told me,"he who has friends is never in a bine." I said yea right. Well he called another friend of his and he told me come and get it just bring me some cigarettes. Of course for $5 I said i'm on my way. got home and started getting everything ready. The 2x4 cracked maybe because I pulled the motor and trans or maybe because it was too old. I went back to my brothers house to get 2 2x4 nailed together. Got home started pulling the motor out, my wife was helping me and she started telling me the wood is bending so she made me put a brace on there. Maybe it was better that way. Started lifting the motor and pushing the car back. After about 45 min it was out. Now come the tedious job of cleaning everything and making it better. Can't wait till tomorrow I will be putting some paint stripper on there. Should I pressure wash it first or after I apply some paint stripper? Gonna go and remove the wires right now, to get a head start. Here's some pic of the engine coming out and the empty bay.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:23 PM
ThongsareSweet
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by guybored
Ok I took off the fenders and hood, had a little trouble with the passengers fender but finally got it off. Now I am disconecting the motor and trans and I have a piece of metal that I can figure out how to remove it. It is the metal that moves the clutch sorry don't know the exact name for it. heres a pic hopefully it will help.

It seems like it only mores left or right but not enough to remove it.
That piece of metal is called the clutch release equalizer. I have yet to figure out exactly how to remove it myself cuz iam in the same process you are. I was able to loosen it on mine but it didn't want to come out. It slides back and forth but won't come out of the tranny even when fully loosened. My guess is when you take off the bellhousing you should be able to get at it.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:47 PM
guybored
2nd Gear Member

I was able to remove it when I lifted the engine. It slid out. Does anybody know what gauge they used in the engine bay. I need to buy some metal to replace some rust but don't know what gauge it is. Thanks
Old 12-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Joe67
Banned

i used about a 16 gauge when i did my aprons

Quick Reply: Cleaning the engine bay.