Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

OpenTracker Roller Idler Arm - Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Default OpenTracker Roller Idler Arm - Review

I finally got around to installing my OpenTracker roller idler a few days ago, and now that I've had a chance to drive around with it a bit, I thought I should put up a review.

For a baseline, I have a '67fb with a 331, 540lb 1" drop coils, Shelby drop, roller spring perches, 15/16" front sway bar, monte carlo bar, 4.5 leaf mid-eyes, and Edelbrock IAS shocks. I have the non-GT m/s box, which is the reeeaaaally slow 22:1 (iirc) ratio box. My idler wasn't bad to begin with, so there was no change in steering play. What little play is there is due to a slightly worn pitman (don't get me started) and some slight bearing play. Alignment specs are: 4.2/4.5* l/r caster, -0.2* camber, ~0.04* toe in (while pushing out on the wheels). Caster is on the high side because I don't care much about steering effort, and I like the improved camber curve and return-to-center function. Negative camber is on the low side because I do a lot of freeway driving and I'm trying to save my tires.

After installing the idler, I didn't really notice much difference in turning effort at low speeds. I had to drive with it for a couple days to decide what changed. While I don't think the roller idler makes a noticable difference in low speed steering effort vs a good greased stock unit, it does seem to be a lot smoother. Where I see the most difference is in higher speed driving conditions. At high speeds, steering effort does seem to be slightly decreased. Steering feedback also seems to be improved, especially at higher speeds where you're more likely to reach the limits of the tires.

Overall, I'd say they're worth the money if you do some serious performance driving (street or track). They're available for not much more than a good (not cheapo) OE replacement, and they do improve steering feedback, especially at higher speeds.

Edit: After James mentioned a couple things to me, I did notice that the return-to-center function of the steering is noticably reduced. It still works somewhat at greater turning angles and higher speeds, but at less than 1 turn of the wheel at low speeds, it's almost nonexistant. While it doesn't exactly cause the car to wander, it doesn't help it stay straight on the freeway either. As James mentioned, you can't just let the wheel go and expect the car to go straight. This isn't a big deal for me, and it may be possible to counteract it with a bit more toe-in, but it is something to be aware of.

Last edited by Starfury; 03-15-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:49 PM
JamesW

Did you notice a tendency to road wander or follow road contours? I noticed more problems on bowed or sloped roads.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:19 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

mmm...yeah, kinda, at freeway speeds. I was hoping that was a factor of the play in the front end, or a result of the windy conditions here. In any case, it's not a lot, and I don't think it's enough to offset the improved steering feedback.

I also have my caster offset to account for road crown, so that may help.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:02 AM
JamesW

I don't have enough caster dialed in to draw it back to center, so without the rubber bushing effect of the old idler, it just goes where I point it. I've had a roller Idler installed for a couple of years now, and found it's just a issue of getting used to. You can't let the steering wheel go and expect it to stay pointed straight. I have basically the same front setup as yours, and found that it seems to be easier at the slower (10-20) range also.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:18 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Hmmm...so I tested some of the return-to-center function on the way to work, and I guess it actually is reduced. It still works ok at greater turning angles, but at less than 1 turn of the wheel it's significantly reduced. I guess I just didn't notice because I'm so used to pointing the steering wheel where I want to go all the time, and rarely use the return-to-center except in really tight corners.

It's possibly I may be able to help keep the car straight on the freeway by increasing toe-in a little. Next time I feel like pulling my car onto the alignment rack at school, I may do that.

Last edited by Starfury; 03-15-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:24 PM
jonward786
3rd Gear Member

yeah ashleigh told me you were hogging the alignment lift the other day.

meanwhile i was focused on other things

Old 03-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I'd like to point out that Jon is a crazy sob with a deathwish:P
Old 03-15-2009, 09:05 PM
flickjo68
1st Gear Member

jonward, what kind of car was that picture taken in? Kinda looks like a beamer?