Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Shelby hood blackout trim stripes.. like or dislike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Default Shelby hood blackout trim stripes.. like or dislike?

For or against? Flat or Matte? Paint vs vinyl decals?

These are near the cowl on the raised sections of the hood on each side in flat or matte black. These were used to, I believe, stop any sun glare from the paint/clear into the drivers eyes. Also some say to imitate vented holes in the hood. I have the Branda vinyl decals however I'd rather have them painted and under the clear if I put them on.

Car is going in for paint on March 30th and will be Dark Moss Green and has a hint of metallic. As a year round daily driver should I have these or not? I'm guessing either a Flat or Matte Black paint and then cleared with the rest of the car. Looking forward to your suggestions! Thanks. (Note cowl is smoothed out and ventless on our car now.)

Edit.. Shop will be doing the final block sanding and then painting base coat / clear. Doors, fenders, hood, trunk lid, etc will be off for full coverage. After its painted doors and fenders are being wrapped for storage until I finish the assembly of the front suspension, engine build, wiring, lines, brakes, interior, Does this list ever end???

Last edited by Adrenolin; 03-20-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:17 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

They serve a purpose. They keep the sun from reflecting into your eyes since the angle of the hood is odd there. I like them since they give the car more character. The ones form Branda are nice and can be added later. If you paint them, you will have to use a different clear on that area. It will be much easier to use the decals. I replaced mine like 8 or 9 years ago and they are still look fine.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Hey Mike.. Do the decals really stick well? Our car will be driven daily and stored outdoors until next year, no garage until then unfortunately. I don't want to deal with replacing them every year which is why I thought about having them painted on. If the decals really last maybe I'll use them.

btw do the decals need to be trimmed or cut to fit correctly? I just tossed them into my "put on later" box and didn't look at them.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:57 AM
66mustang302

you can have the paint shop use a flat clear on top of the black stripe, or some guys with the mach 1s with the flat black hoods just paint the black after the car is painted and clear coated and then just dont clear the black
Old 03-21-2009, 01:20 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

I have had no trouble with the decals, but the car is always stored inside. The best I can remember the fit was fine. I don't remember trimming them at all.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

OK thanks.. something to think about.