Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

MSD Hook up problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:06 AM
4R RUSH
1st Gear Member

Default MSD Hook up problems

I have a 65 289 mustang

I have a "Ready to Run" dist with a 6AL box. The MSD instructions call out for only 1 wire to each of the coil posts. Orange+ and black-. I connected the white to the dist orange and the large red to postive battery and black grounded at the chassis. The small red wire is connected to the choke 12 v source. The car will not run. When I turn on the ignition I get 4volts.

When I hook everything back up the original way I have the dist wire( red) to + at the coil and the orange to the - side of the coil and it all the box disconnected and it starts right up. The voltage at the coil is 12V with the key on. The red for the distributer is connected up to the ignition terminal for the starter solenoid.

The MSD tech said the reds must be connected to the same source and that is my problem. He also stated that the tach wire must be rerouted from the negative side of the coil to the tach output( I disconnected when testing the box)

Does this sound correct? Seem to me if it is on a 12v source then the box should care.
Let me know any thoughts.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:13 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

No, that is wrong!

Connect it llke this:

Heavy red wire to battery (+ terminal of solenoid will work)
Heavy black to ground
Small red wire to a switched ignition source (choke power will work, but ensure it is 12v only when the key is on)
Small orange to the coil +
Small black to the coil -
Small white to the distributor (for points)
Tach wire to the TACH output on the box (may need an adapter depending on tach manufacturer)
Old 03-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fakesnakes
No, that is wrong!
Old 03-23-2009, 11:19 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Hey, that kind of looks like me!
Old 03-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

Haha.....that is disturbing.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:40 AM
4R RUSH
1st Gear Member

No, that is wrong!

Connect it llke this:

Heavy red wire to battery (+ terminal of solenoid will work)[Connected to + battery]
Heavy black to ground[Grounded on chassis next to box in inner fender]
Small red wire to a switched ignition source (choke power will work, but ensure it is 12v only when the key is on)[Temporary tie in to choke-Measures 12v with key on]
Small orange to the coil +[ Connected to coil +]
Small black to the coil -[Connected to coil -]
Small white to the distributor (for points)[ White wire to orange dist wire-Ready to run dist]
Tach wire to the TACH output on the box (may need an adapter depending on tach manufacturer)[ Disconnected until I can find out if I need tach adaptor]

Mark,

I added my comments above. The MSD tech say I have to hook up the switched 12v to the same power source. I have the original set up going to the Ignition side of the starter solenoid and I will try to hook up the box to the same source. Still don't see why I can run.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:49 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

It doesn't make a lot of sense. You can't use the I terminal of the solenoid. It is only enrgized during engine cranking. It's purpose is to bypass the resistor wire that protects your coil during cranking for the hottest spark possible.Leave it the way it is and perform the spark test:

Turn your ignition key to on. Remove the coil secondary wire from the distributor side and hold it about 1/4" from a ground. Touch the white wire to the MSD box to ground and then pull it away from ground. Every time you remove the white wire from ground, you should see the coil wire spark. If this works, the box and connections are good. I have a feeling it will not work meaning either the box is not working or your connections are incorrect. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2009, 03:53 PM
4R RUSH
1st Gear Member

Fakesnakes,

The choke wire I believe cuts out when you start the motor. Anyhow I connected both reds to the + side of the battery the small red with a disconnect bullet(to turn off after test) connector and the motor fired right up. I have the box mounted in the inner passenger side fender so I will look to run a new wire into the interior to find a switched 12v source. Thanks for the help.