Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A/C Installation on a '68 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Freudianslipp
1st Gear Member

Default A/C Installation on a '68 Coupe

I have some questions about replacing the a/c on my '68 coupe. I bought the car about a month ago knowing that the a/c wasn't working. I originally planned to get around to it when I had the time and the money, but I'm thinking that it might be the next thing that I want to work on now. My 289 engine is tuned and sounds great, but the original compressor that's installed is making a loud noise as it's turning. Basically, it's driving me crazy, and its making the engine compartment sound like crap.

When I went to my local Mustang specialty shop, they quoted me a price that sounds insanely high. My "regular" mechanic is so busy working on the daily drivers from his customers, that it sounds like he is trying to avoid working on the Mustang. So here is my question for anyone who is a mechanic or who has done the job...

From all the reading that I have done, in order to upgrade the a/c to a new Sanden style compressor and upgrade to R-134a, it sounds like I will need to change out the compressor, pull the fan and the radiator so that I can reach the condensor to replace it as well. I'll also need to install a new drier and (of course) hook up all the lines back to the firewall. Am I missing anything? I'm pretty good working on my car, but I am by no means a mechanic. In anyone's opinion, is this a better job that is left to a professional, or is it something I can knock out as a weekend project?

My other question would be about the evaporator. How will I know if it needs to be replaced? The previous owner told me that I would need to replace everything from the firewall forward, but if he was wrong, how would I test the evaporator?

I'm just looking for opinions because the quote that I got for replacing everything ($2700) seemed like a ton of money compared to the cost of the parts and the work that (I think) needs to get done.

What does everyone think?

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2009, 08:55 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

There are two companies that do A/C's for old mustangs, Classic Air and Vintage Air. I would take a look at both of those sites and they should have the answers for you.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:55 PM
nassaubayman
3rd Gear Member

I had a '67 Coupe with original in-dash air. I went to have it charged and found out the compressor was leaking. So I replaced the compressor with a Sanden type, along with the condensor & drier. I then found out I needed different hoses, as the connections were different. By the time I was finished, I had replaced everything forward of the firewall. The car still barely cooled. Plus, the box under the dash would fill up with water (didn't exit thru the tube like it should) and poured out of the seam of the box. By that time, I had spent so much money I could have replaced the entire system with a Vintage Air or Classic Auto Air system.

I highly recommend you look into one of those before you decide to replace what you have.