Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

351 W Fires but but wont run

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Anth

Been playing all day today.

Partial success, so let me tell you what we got.

Tried looking for a ballast resistor, there isn't one.
Checked my copy of the haynes manual, spent about 30 mins figuring out the circuit diagrams and figured it was a resistor wire, dismantled half the dashboard looking for it and am still looking.

In the meantime we took the ignition switch off, noticed that it seemed very slack...the pin that pushes down to activate whatever part of ignition you turn to. We gave it a good spray with WD40 and connected it back up.....the car started and ran!

We stopped the engine because she was misfiring.....turns out that this is probably due to a smashed plug we found. However when we undid the Dissy to check the points (yes its a points system with a very expensive racing dissy on it) we put it back together suspecting that th epoints were not right, and she fired but wouldnt run again.

We think the ignition switch has gone, its very loose and we cannot find any other problems.....other than not finding the resisotr wire, but as she started without finding it, I doubt that it can be at fault.

The major headache for us is the orginal 73 wiring loom connecting to the 84 Engine. It seems to be connected striaght forward, but then this fault occured.

In the ignition we have iiirc, Black with green hoops, red with blue stripe, red with green stripe, yellow and a purple wire and theres one more I cant remember the colours of.

We dont even know whats constant live, because when the switch is depressed we dont always get power on, which makes us think the switch is knackered. In the interests of getting the car running and fixing her back to original ignition later, we located an ignition from a forklift truck and then realised we had no idea how to wire this up

extreme lack of funds is also causing a problem as the owner is currently out of work.

Like I said she shows the signs of a knackered resistor wire, but she has since started again and then the fault returned. I am really thinking that if its not the switch we are going to have to call an auto electrician out. Theres no heart in the project when we know she wont run.

I'll show you what we are working with engine side:

Old 04-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Anth

Originally Posted by kalli

As said above for a quick test connect battery+ directly top coil+ and see if it starts and keeps running.
if it does, DO NOT DRIVE LIKE THIS. remove that temporary cable again.

this jst means that either:
- you should get 12V and only have 8
- you should get 8V and have less or nothing

if it works with that test let us know exactly what distributor and coil you have. as well if you have any electronic ignition module in the distributor and we'll sort you out
OK this test does work.
We tried this a day or two ago.

As for the distributor, its a mallory, dual point system, which model I dont know but it looks very similar to the 27 series. One thing I have noticed is that the coil is an electronic ignition one.....but again this wouldnt explain why the car starts sometimes but not all the time.

Last edited by Anth; 04-09-2009 at 12:39 PM.