Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Timing Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 01:53 PM
hbmustnag

Default Timing Problem

iput on a new edlebrock performance manifold and carb
and i am just not getting the torque i should be getting
and i know my timing is off
ive tried adjusting it but it doesn't seem to be getting that much better
suggestions?
Old 04-26-2009, 04:17 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Just not enough info to work with,,,

Have you put a timing light on the car?

Are you getting "as much torque" as you did before the swap or has your performance actually dropped from what it was prior?

And, exactly what parts did you put on? (Model and size).
Old 04-26-2009, 04:19 PM
MIL1ION
2nd Gear Member

2v = more torque at bottom end lower rpm

4v = more hp or performance at higher rpm
Old 04-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Not true at all, unless you're talking about a cleveland. A 4V carb (of the proper size) will actually get better low end throttle response than a 2V carb because the primaries on the 4V are smaller than the two venturis on the 2V. The smaller venturis result in a better vacuum signal and better fuel atomization, while the secondaries allow for increased breathing at higher rpm.

As far as the timing goes, you need to get yourself a timing light. Advance at idle with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged should be 8-10*. Total advance (with the VA still disconnected) should be 30-35* all in by 3k rpm or so. You'll need a working tach to verify the latter.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:47 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

yah. you need a timing gun where you can adjust the angle. I got one that does angles and shows rpm. i use that constantly. well worth the buy
Old 04-30-2009, 10:23 PM
hbmustnag

we have tried the timing gun but the marks are on the timing wheel are not visible. i have tried cleaning it up but still no good, can't see em. i have tried doing it by ear but with not much improvment. and no i am not getting as much torque as before
hope this helps! and hope you can help me!
thanks
Old 04-30-2009, 10:25 PM
hbmustnag

I have an edlebrock carb and manifold, pertronix ignition sysytem, new sparkplugs and wires, and a new air fliter.
carb is size is 650
Old 04-30-2009, 10:32 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Take some white paint on a toothpick and put it in the slot on the harmonic balancer. That will make you able to see the mark when it is running.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:44 PM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hbmustnag
we have tried the timing gun but the marks are on the timing wheel are not visible. i have tried cleaning it up but still no good, can't see em. i have tried doing it by ear but with not much improvment. and no i am not getting as much torque as before
hope this helps! and hope you can help me!
thanks
You need to time it using the gun. If you can't see the timing marks on the balancer you will need to use a piston stop to determine TDC of the number one cylinder and then make your own mark on it. The piston stop is basically a bolt that screws into the spark plug hole. You rotate the engine BY HAND slowly clockwise until the stop contacts the top of the piston. Make a mark on the balancer at the timing pointer. Now rotate the engine counterclockwise until the stop contacts the piston. Make another mark. Remove the piston stop. TDC is half way between the 2 marks you made. Now go to an autp parts store that has tool loan and get an "advance" style timing light. This style will have a **** on it and a meter or similar and you turn the **** with the engine running until the meter reads whatever you want your timing to be. Now rotate the distributor until the TDC mark you made lines up with the timing pointer.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:07 PM
mstg007
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the idea for the balancer for timing. I never thought you could do it! I might be doing that tomorrow!

Quick Reply: Timing Problem