Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

new member in of help!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:33 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

That is a cool build, but honestly, who has that kind of time to do that? I'm having a hard time finishing my wiring harness...........
Old 04-29-2009, 05:52 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The guy who built this

works full time at (I think) Boeing. The car just made its maiden road course voyage within the last week or so.

I don't know how they do it either.

Norm
Old 04-29-2009, 08:08 AM
alwaysworkin.com

Default here's the entire story!!!!!

i purchased this car for 5000 thinkin it was in fair condition from lookin at the interior. and since i know zero about classic cars i didnt kno to look at frame rails or check for rust. so now that i'm ready to start restoring the car the mechanic tells me he cant do anything until i get all the frame work done and yes it was that bad, pics will be posted. i found a 1971 torino with an original 429cj and i didnt know if i should put the 429 in my mustang or purchase a 351 and restore the torino as my second project, and the torino does run but in need of interior work and some touching up under the hood. but after reading you guys posts it sounds like the 351w might be the way to go. i just was under the impression that the car would be worth more money with the cobra jet engine. and thanks a millions for your post. AND A CHEVY MOTOR IS DEFINITELY NOT AN OPTION,LOL.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:16 AM
alwaysworkin.com

IN NEWARK.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I understand exactly what you're saying, Norm. Waaay back when, it used to be common practice to simply grab something better, or fabricate something, and make it work with your car. That was the essence of hot rodding. Guys used to put Hemi motors in whatever they could (the old 331 Hemi, not the 426), or Merc L motors in a Chevy.

People have been using the Ford 9" in just about everything ever since they realized that it was cheap and it's hard to blow up. It doesn't suprise me that people are catching on to the advantages of 8.8's. I actually have an 8.8 I'm going to build for my car for that exact purpose.

What bothers me are the people who build hot rods just because they can, and they build them like every other hot rod. T bucket/coupe with a GM crate 350. Because there really aren't enough of those out there. Their excuse is that "350's are cheaper to build." I call BS. They're just lazy. And if money was a concern, most of them wouldn't be building a hot rod in the first place. My uncle, who built most of a t-bucket, told me it was because the 350 centers better with the drivetrain. :-|

I've been to a couple Good Guys car shows and the cookie cutter mold is the most annoying thing about them. I'm much, much more impressed with the unique cars; guys running a flathead, or better yet a flathead with Offy OHV heads or a big blower, or Hemi conversions, or a 427 side oiler, etc. I saw an old 30's Ford truck at Hot August Nights last year with a Terminator drivetrain. THAT was a cool ride.

I'm not so much brand loyal myself as someone who appreciates not mixing between brands too much. The engine is the heart of the car; change the engine to something else, and what do you really have?

PS: That "Mustang" is amusing, Norm Not that it's really a Mustang anymore, but I like how the guy kept the wing and coupe windows, hehe. You'd think he would've done something a little different with the front valence, though...
Old 04-29-2009, 12:40 PM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

That is an ugly mustang.

I'm a chevy guy myself but I'm not too much on the whole chevy in fords thing. I wouldn't put a ford in a chevy so why do it the other way. Unless I had that engine sitting around and no other project to put it in then i might think about it. And the 305 sucks and if you were to keep it chevy engined then switch to a 350. Those are so reliable unless you wanted to go vortec but then all that raises the question "why not just go back to ford for all that money?"
Old 04-30-2009, 02:40 AM
67fire
2nd Gear Member

In the late 80's, I had been given a '71 Chevelle that had no motor or trans.
After it sat around for a year or so... I had this '70 429 and C-6 that I had pulled out of a Marquis. One day, I said "what the heck" and made a VERY bad *** Chevelle! Of course, the engine was painted Ford blue and when people would tell me that "that was one fast Chevelle, can I see the engine?"
The look on their faces, was PRICE-LESS!!!! LOL!

Eric
Old 04-30-2009, 07:29 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
What bothers me are the people who build hot rods just because they can, and they build them like every other hot rod. T bucket/coupe with a GM crate 350. Because there really aren't enough of those out there. Their excuse is that "350's are cheaper to build." I call BS. They're just lazy. And if money was a concern, most of them wouldn't be building a hot rod in the first place. My uncle, who built most of a t-bucket, told me it was because the 350 centers better with the drivetrain. :-|
And have less than zero imagination. The 350/TH350 powertrain in <you name it> has been done to death already, and isn't even worth a decent yawn. If you must do yet another "350", at least do something unique with it.[/rant] [/way off topic]

PS: That "Mustang" is amusing, Norm Not that it's really a Mustang anymore, but I like how the guy kept the wing and coupe windows, hehe. You'd think he would've done something a little different with the front valence, though...
That picture was taken before the valance was finished, and the raw aluminum is going to get powdercoated or something. See the picture in post #245 in this thread. Oh yeah, it's a twin-turbo (around 700 hp) streetable track toy, not a pure race car.

A Chevy (based) motor was never an option for Preston, either.

alwaysworkin - I don't know how, or even if any of those links might influence your decisions, but there they are FWIW. Think this first big decision through carefully, and good luck bringing it to completion. There's a lot of help available here.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-30-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:04 PM
67BullittCoupe
3rd Gear Member

dont be "independent" and leave a chevy motor in.

conform and buy a 351w. do the responsible thing.

your offspring will be grateful.

Last edited by 67BullittCoupe; 04-30-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:59 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

overall, just do WHAT YOU WANT TO DO, if you want to put a chevy in it, put a chevy in it, or a mopar, etc etc. just do what makes you happy. IMO, if i was going to put a non ford motor in a mustang it would be a LS series with a carb, or something mopar, maybe one of the new hemi's or a 340-360ci motor. i think it would be very different and a pun piece to have. IMO, i would keep A chevy in it since everything was done already ( assuming its not done chittily). but get rid of the damned 305!! put a 383 stroker in it or something along those lines, or even a chevy 400, i also vote putting a 4speed behind that *****