Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Assembling a Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Thanks for reminding me about the carb. I hopefully should be able to get that by the end of the month.

I'm running Edelbrocks front and rear and I'm happy with them. Body roll is better than with Gas-A-Justs, and the rear end seems to stay planted a little better over rough pavement.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:37 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JamesW
That is the current ride height.... fronts have not been cut. but, they've been in place for about 5 years so the've settled a little.
That's a nice height, doesn't look too low. You don't run into any scraping or bottoming out issues more than normal do you?

Originally Posted by Starfury
Thanks for reminding me about the carb. I hopefully should be able to get that by the end of the month.

I'm running Edelbrocks front and rear and I'm happy with them. Body roll is better than with Gas-A-Justs, and the rear end seems to stay planted a little better over rough pavement.
I'm surprised I remembered about the carb with all the running around I have been doing between here, the bay area, Detroit and moving. I plan on getting it rebuilt and rejetted by a shop suggested by a guy here at work. I believe the place is called Dave's down there in SLO.

So the Edelbrocks are more responsive than the KYB's. I'll probably get some for the rear but I'm not going to replace the front because the KYB's are still fairly new. The rear shocks look like the classic style solid blue monroe ones are still back there. From how dead the fronts were when I replaced them I'm going to imagine the rears are just as bad.

This is a huge learning experience I have never really done a suspension overhaul before, fun.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:00 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Which Edelbrock are you talking about? I found a few
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Is it either of these or another one?
Old 05-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Dave's is a good outfit.

The Gas-A-Justs were stiff. Even with weak springs, the ride in the back was rough and the car liked to skitter around corners on rough roads. The Edelbrocks seem to give less body roll but a smoother ride on rough roads.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I have the standard red IAS monotubes. The Classic design units weren't available at the time.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:10 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I plan on doing my suspension soon(maybe). I'm running Gas-A-Justs right now, but have settled on IAS's for the new suspension. The roads around here are terrible, and though the KYB's hold really well, they're very firm and it's noticeable on rough roads. And yeah, the car does tend to skitter when taking hard corners that are a bit rough.

Nothing against KYB though, the IAS shocks are a fairly new design and have a technology advantage, but they also cost quite a bit more.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:02 PM
JamesW

Pic from a show last year. The only time I get a little rub is when I back out of my inclined driveway while turning.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:24 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

hey Tad (starfury) your setup seems like pretty much what I was going to (hopefully) buy this summer for my car from the research I've been doing. Maybe one of these days and I check out your car...

oh and why do you recommend the 540 rather than 620 lb coils? I've also seen the 750's I believe. Are the 620's and 750's too stiff? or the other way around?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:32 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

620's and 750's are prettymuch only for track use. they will only help handling on a perfectly flat road with no bumps etc etc. the front will jump the **** around and it will be wicked tight under hard cornering. like i said, unless its set up for a race car
Old 05-10-2009, 09:50 PM
JamesW

Originally Posted by racin66coupe
620's and 750's are prettymuch only for track use. they will only help handling on a perfectly flat road with no bumps etc etc. the front will jump the **** around and it will be wicked tight under hard cornering. like i said, unless its set up for a race car
I've got 1" drop 620s with the softer GR-2 shocks and this combination works quite well for the street. I've put a couple of thousand miles on all sorts of local and interstate roads and does not jump around.

In fact, I've compared the stiffness and mine to others with gas-a-just and it is much smoother.

Quick Reply: Assembling a Suspension