Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I6, What mods sould I do to get more power?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 01:58 AM
TomRoscoe

Default I6, What mods sould I do to get more power?

66 Mustang, 200 Block 3.3 Liter

It's the original engine, with a 3 speed auto tran. I want to get more power out of the engine, or just even gas mileage.

How do I do so? If I need parts what would you recommend?
Old 05-20-2009, 06:04 AM
ThanksDad
3rd Gear Member

Talk to the boys at Clifford Performance www.cliffordperformance.net. They have headers, cams, 2 barrel carbs, etc, etc. All they do is 4 and 6 cylinder upgrades.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:26 AM
trashline
2nd Gear Member

IMO clifford is expensive, the best prices Ive seen are from www.fordsix.com
Old 05-20-2009, 08:42 AM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Originally Posted by trashline
IMO clifford is expensive, the best prices Ive seen are from www.fordsix.com
I agree with you 100%
Old 05-20-2009, 08:49 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Before you touch the engine internally, you need to get rid of that gawd-awful exhaust manifold. Install a 3-4 splitter, dual headers and stock GT dual exhaust. That manifold couldn't be worse if they were trying to kill performance and mileage.

Then worry about bigger carb, stout cam, etc.

Then consider putting a T5 5-speed in. Better launch, better mileage. What's not to like?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:16 AM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

honestly, turbo. those i6s make MASSIVE amounts of torque when boosted.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:45 AM
trashline
2nd Gear Member

the two biggest things to worry about are the head and exhaust manifold, they are both about the same in the realm of KILLING performance. They are both similar in design.

As mentioned a header would be awesome, and IMO exhaust is always one of the first upgrades to any vehicle. then you will want a look at induction options. When I ran my 200 I had an adapter from langdon stovebolt and one of his 200 something cfm two barrels on top of it. I had to run a cable throttle setup though. his adapter is cast but a fraction of the cost for cliffords jobber.

As with any car the engine is a pump just allow it to flow better with more.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:12 AM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I am using stovebolts setup and hate the adapter. I had to drill out the holes to make the bolts fit and line up correctly. The adapter is too tall so I can't put an air cleaner on top. No PCV valve spot to take off the fomoco carb spacer. I would honestly buy the clifford adapter over the stovebolt, but buy the stovebolt carb over any other.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:21 AM
67BullittCoupe
3rd Gear Member

my favorite mod is a V8 mod.

but it dosent sound like your trying to break sound barriers. try the sites already recommended.

but more importantly IMO you need to look at what tires your running, what transmission and rear end are you running.

look into a 5 speed and putting in a limited slip with a gear ratio that is going to make that car come awake. youll lose gas mileage with gears, but youll gain some with the 5 speed if your conservative.

coupled with modest engine increases youll be surprised.

BTW dont think if you add an exhaust and carburetor your gaining "20 hp" over what ever stock is.

remember that engine is probably 30-40 years old, its worn out. any minor mods are just going to restore it to original arena power.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:42 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

5 speed and rearend gears, but don't worry about a limited slip unless you start making a lot more power. Headers and intake next.

I don't think you'll lose MPG with better gears as the engine will not have to work so hard to get going. In my Dodge truck (I know, I know) changing from a 3.92:1 to a 4.56:1 rearend actually netted me better in town MPG. And it's a bunch more fun to drive now.

Quick Reply: I6, What mods sould I do to get more power?