Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

vandalized at a car show!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:15 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

This is my '41 ****** (sold it about 10 years ago):

I was at a car show and went to get something to eat and some a-hole twisted the mixture screws on both Edelbrock carbs. I couldn't believe someone would do that and tore one of them down before realizing what happened. There are many dicks in this world! I'm sorry you ran into one.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:11 AM
opie_803
2nd Gear Member

thanks, the car has less than 500 miles on it since the rebuild.

fakesnake, that is an awsome car.

as for the woman resting on the hood... parents would have been running with their children because of the obscenities coming from my mouth.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:24 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

check one thing before you jump to this conclusion. Check your motor mounts. since you just did the rebuild you may have left a bolt off of onew of them. also you may have gotten a bad mount. this exact thing happened to me. Fan through the radiator . ughhh

i also say this because you stated it was as you were taking off from a light. which would give the engine enough torque to rotate the engine enough to damage it.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:24 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Pardon me, but is that distributor on the rear of that engine Snake???I'll overlook that since it was ten years ago and you do have some awesome fords now.
Originally Posted by fakesnakes
This is my '41 ****** (sold it about 10 years ago):

I was at a car show and went to get something to eat and some a-hole twisted the mixture screws on both Edelbrock carbs. I couldn't believe someone would do that and tore one of them down before realizing what happened. There are many dicks in this world! I'm sorry you ran into one.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:01 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I say motor mount also,,, that was my first thought.

Even if it ain't broken, mounts will "settle" a little once a car is driven some.

On and off the throttle will cause things to move some, especially if one is making "non stock" HP while using stock mounts....

If you are making big power, you might even be twisting the whole car just a bit (it is a convert!). This could make a close fit on the radiator a little more than close...

I don't think you were vandalized, I think you had a unforeseen build issue creep up on you... sucks, but this can and does happen...

Last edited by JMD; 06-14-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:10 PM
opie_803
2nd Gear Member

i checked the motor mounts and they are good. i know the bolts are tight, i checked it by putting it in gear (fwd/rev) and loaded it up to see if the motor flexed. it didnt have much movement. i have seen a broken motor mount under a load and it will raise alot.

i am past the anger by now. i have the radiator out and will drop it off tomorrow to be fixed and will pick up a new fan as well.

i figure 50-75 bucks will have me back on the road.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Green69
1st Gear Member

oops.. delete

Last edited by Green69; 06-14-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Green69
1st Gear Member

Some guy with a Corvette in the show yelled at her before I could even open my mouth. I guess if she were younger, prettier and less clothed, I might have taken a photo first. A little later I approached her to 'educate' her that it is never polite to sit on someone's car, especially a classic at a freakin' car show. She apologized, at least.

How about the tranny mount / crossmember? Could that cause the engine to tilt up/down and cause that damage?
Old 06-14-2009, 11:28 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Green69
Some guy with a Corvette in the show yelled at her before I could even open my mouth. I guess if she were younger, prettier and less clothed, I might have taken a photo first. A little later I approached her to 'educate' her that it is never polite to sit on someone's car, especially a classic at a freakin' car show. She apologized, at least.

How about the tranny mount / crossmember? Could that cause the engine to tilt up/down and cause that damage?
If the rear of the tranny is not bolted down,,, I think so....

tranny goes up fan goes down...
Old 06-15-2009, 11:41 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

I lost a $10k engine to some jerk who thought gravel would be good to dump in a 1050 Holley. If I could ever prove who it was, you would have heard about it on the news. Its not like I throw that kind of money around, I saved and busted my tail to build that thing, used what I got from my last deployment to the desert on it. Really steamed me to say the least.

Quick Reply: vandalized at a car show!