Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1965 Ford Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:30 AM
joeyemma

Default 1965 Ford Mustang

65 Ford Mustang convertible.

My horn does not work. I tested it by running a jump wire from the horn to the battery and the actual horn works so I assume the problem is in the steering wheel. Also, my turn signals work but have to be shut off manually. They don't "click" off automatically after you make a turn. Somebody told me these two problems could be related and have something to do with the steering wheel being put on wrong.

Can anybody help me fix this? I need to get an inspection sticker by the end of the month and the horn will be a problem.

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2009, 07:52 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

if it's not a 64-1/2 (different horn setup) then you don't have a horn relay.
so test the following: take horn assembly off steering whee (the whole lot)

as I don't have the 65 assembly you need to check:

a) there's only one cable conneting to the horn assembly. if that's the case disconnect from horn assembly and hold the cable to the metal (the steering rod)
does that beep?

b) if you have two cables connecting to the horn assembly, disconnect them and short them (hold them together). does it beep then?

Kalli
Old 06-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Vince in Philly

Sounds like you need to replace your turn signal switch. The plastic cam in yours is probably broken, and that's why your turn signal does not cancel by itself. There's at least a fair chance that replacing the turn signal switch will also fix your horn, since the horn runs through that switch too.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:42 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by joeyemma
65 Ford Mustang convertible.

My horn does not work. I tested it by running a jump wire from the horn to the battery and the actual horn works so I assume the problem is in the steering wheel. Also, my turn signals work but have to be shut off manually. They don't "click" off automatically after you make a turn. Somebody told me these two problems could be related and have something to do with the steering wheel being put on wrong.

Can anybody help me fix this? I need to get an inspection sticker by the end of the month and the horn will be a problem.

Thanks!
It's possible all you need is steering column adjustment. How big is the gap between the column and wheel? Do you have the factory wheel or aftermarket?

Note to Vince- Are you going to the Glazier/Nolan show next month?