Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Starting a frame up restoration, need drawings.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 09:01 AM
mmaki

Default Starting a frame up restoration, need drawings.

Hi,

So I am tackling a complete restoration of a '68 fastback. I got the car when I was 16, worked on it for a year, then took a 23 year break and now I'm back at it. Pretty much everything needs to be replace and the car has sank onto the frame and possibly folded a bit during its long wait in my parents back yard.

I have spent a great deal of time searching on the net for some good dimension diagrams. I do have the factory shop manual however the diagram in that leaves much to be desired. I have seen much more detailed drawing of the '66 and the '70 but haven't found anything better for the '68. In some measurment in the shop manual it is even hard to tell what they are measuring to exactly. I purchased the factory body assembly manual, and the chassis assembly manual hoping there would be some more datail in those, however they contain no dimensions.

So my question, is anyone aware of a more detailed drawing? Or perhaps a better book perhaps detailing a frame up restoration which goes into details on things like where to support the car from when nothing is really solid?

Thanks,

MIke
Old 06-27-2009, 09:17 AM
JamesW

Welcome to the forum! We've got a lot of experienced guys here so I'm sure someone will come through with the info you need. I myself have never seen available a series of 'drawings' giving dimensional detailing of these old cars. Typically what you would expect to find is the data associated with key body alignment points, used when straightening a body after an accident.

Recognize that there is no frame to a mustang. It is a unibody with 4 frame rails that are connected via the floor pan and the rocker rails. Most people end up developing a sequential plan to replace the floorpans, rails, or frame portions, between each ensuring that the body alignment is maintained.

best of luck
Old 06-27-2009, 10:12 AM
chris66dad
2nd Gear Member

http://www.fordmanuals.com/estore/sc...idCategory=112
These will help you with your project.
Not sure if they are the same as you have or not.
They are PC based and you can use a search feature to find what your looking for. I have the 66 factory manual and it is the best. The Part and Body Illustrations will help with how things go together also.

Good Luck and Be Safe
Ron

Last edited by chris66dad; 06-27-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:14 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Sounds eerily familiar, car sits for 20 years, hasnt been driven since owner was 16... hhmmm... With a handle like Maki, I wonder if there is a Finn behind it. Lots of Maki's here in the U.P. Its quite a bit similar to the 67 I just did, except a Cougar has a slightly longer wheelbase, there is a bit of added metal under the rear seat.

First thing you need to know is how bad it is, what you need to replace, and figure out a ball park idea of what the parts needing replacement will cost.

Are you across the river from Detroit or are you farther north near the U.P.? If you are closer to where I am, I would gladly lend a hand.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:40 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Sounds familiar, I've seen several cars that sat for years before restoration. This one was the worst, since it sat over 20 years before the hurricane:

What dimensions do you need? Was the car wrecked?
Old 06-27-2009, 10:42 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

No on second thought, this was the worst, and it's a 68 fastback. That piece of wood under the back end is the only thing holding it up. Let me know if you want to see the "after" on this one.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:38 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

i want to see the after
Old 06-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Flash70
2nd Gear Member

yea anyway i want to see the after lol. show us the magic.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:58 PM
mmaki

Here i a pic of what I'm dealing with:

More pics can be found here http://picasaweb.google.com/makiaudi...eat=directlink

A few clarifications, I never actually drove the car when I was 16. It was bought as a project at that time, but I didn't get very far.

I am in NW Ontario in Thunder Bay, which is about a 16hr drive from Detroit. It is home of the largest Fin population outside of Finland (or so I am told) and yes, I am descendant from Finns.

The car was never in a accident however as you can see from the pictures there isn't a whole lot left to reference to. The crash sheet in the factory shop manual only references a few heights for establishing a datum line and all are from the front or rear frame rails. I wasn't confident in trying to establish one as there were only 2 points on the front frame rails that could be used. I would like to establish a base referenced to the rockers however I have not found any dimensions , ie; rear spring mounting height referenced to bottom of rocker panel.

Mike
Old 06-29-2009, 02:24 AM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

Holy crap that is a piece! Pardon my french. I would say the work needed for your resto is almost worth just getting a new project to start with and that one MAYBE for parts. But on the other hand with hard work and a lotta $$$ it can be a great beauty. Woo, makes me feel better about mine. :P

Quick Reply: Starting a frame up restoration, need drawings.