Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Is this the kind of black paint Ford used in the engine compartment?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 09:49 AM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Default Is this the kind of black paint Ford used in the engine compartment?

I want to paint my engine compartment but not if I have the wrong gloss of black.

Is this the correct paint or is there something else I should go for?

http://www.autobarn.net/dupenpainglo.html
Old 06-30-2009, 10:25 PM
JamesW

A very common rattle can used is Rustoleum 7777. It's a Satin Black.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:08 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Thanks James

Do you think this would be better and easier if applied with bucket paint and a brush? (I don't have the compartment stripped down)
Old 07-01-2009, 05:46 AM
JamesW

The best approach of course if to have the motor removed and the engine bay either chemically or physically stripped of all paint, then go back with a sprayed primer and epoxy paint.

Many people however use products like Simple Green, Castrol Super Cleaner, EZ Off oven cleaner, Brillo pads, 401, etc etc...to clean their engine bay as good as they can, hand sand where needed, then mask off the motor and spray several coats using the Rustoleum or like rattle can paints. That will look better than brush paint.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:09 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Eastwood or similar compartment paint, applied with a paint gun, with the engine removed is the best way. If you must use rattle cans, ordinary Krylon semi-gloss black is a near-perfect match.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:24 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

Brushing the paint on will look terrible.....mask everything as best you can and spray. If not removing the engine, you may at least want to remove some of the component for easier access (exhaust manifolds, radiator, battery etc.)
Old 07-01-2009, 02:36 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

IMO you want a Semi-FLAT not a Semi-gloss, it's not quite flat, has some shine, but to me semi-gloss is just too shinny. Krylon semi-flat would be a good paint to use, I used to for almost anything black on my car. However, for the engine bay I sandblasted everything, self-etch primed it, then laquer primer, then sprayed semi-flat black that I had mixed up by a paint shop. I used a cheap HVLP spray gun and it came out great
Old 07-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4reboy
IMO you want a Semi-FLAT not a Semi-gloss, it's not quite flat, has some shine, but to me semi-gloss is just too shinny. Krylon semi-flat would be a good paint to use, I used to for almost anything black on my car. However, for the engine bay I sandblasted everything, self-etch primed it, then laquer primer, then sprayed semi-flat black that I had mixed up by a paint shop. I used a cheap HVLP spray gun and it came out great
Thats what I was thinking, semi-gloss does seem a little too glossy to me.

I don't really want to take off any of the wires or components in the engine bay so I'm still kind of discouraged of doing it. Problem is there are a few flaked off parts that kind of bug me.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:04 PM
66fstbk88
1st Gear Member

the first time i did it, i left the motor/wires in. i scrubbed/cleaned the whole bay making sure there was no oils or gunk with some Simple Green. then i took my time and taped everything i didn't want to get paint on. last i applied the paint. I cant remember if it was krylon semi-flat or rustoleum, but i would use rustoleum since it a better quality paint and is much better for metals. its not hard to get a good looking job. the prep/taping will determine how good your job will turn out. ill try to dig up some pics of my old coupe with some before and after pics.
GOOD LUCK!... and remember, don't rush it!!
Old 07-01-2009, 10:42 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Here's a picture of my semi-flat:

If you're just looking to cover up flakes and whatnot I would just go with they krylon semi-flat or something similar. Be sure to tape everything off like 66fstbk said, the extra time spent in the prep work will really paint off, and besides MY pet peeve is paint on wires and wherever else it isn't supposed to be, I spent days using lacquer thinner on my wiring harnesses just to get them with as little paint on them as possible. This may soon become your pet peeve too if you get paint on there and notice it every time you look under the hood...

Quick Reply: Is this the kind of black paint Ford used in the engine compartment?