Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

complete 100% naive dumb newbie

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 02:14 PM
FrenchFrie

Default complete 100% naive dumb newbie

hi everyone,

I'm a 24 yr old med student in TX, and i need a car. What can i say.... all i know is i want a 60s model stang thats convertable. I dont want to restore the car extesively, i dont want a showpiece nor do i want to race bc of lack of time. I just want a nice looking car thats suitable for daily driving. Be honest with me i wont cry, am i in over my head? is this a dumb idea. can these cars be driven daily or are they only for show? should i look into another type of car or just settle for...dare i say..a honda or toyota? if you guys can point me in the right direction where i can ask my 1 million newbie questions or if theres a FAQ somewhere let me know. or if someone is willing to chat online or email id love that as well. thanks! ---FF
Old 07-01-2005, 02:37 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

Default RE: complete 100% naive dumb newbie

its very possible. as for your questions, just ask them in one of the tech forums like the classic section for example.

good luck finding a car and welcome!
Old 07-01-2005, 02:44 PM
xRockThePonyx
6th Gear Member

I think the classics guys will really be able to help you here... I'll move it over there so they see this.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:31 PM
stangrr66
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FrenchFrie

hi everyone,

I'm a 24 yr old med student in TX, and i need a car. What can i say.... all i know is i want a 60s model stang thats convertable. I dont want to restore the car extesively, i dont want a showpiece nor do i want to race bc of lack of time. I just want a nice looking car thats suitable for daily driving. Be honest with me i wont cry, am i in over my head? is this a dumb idea. can these cars be driven daily or are they only for show? should i look into another type of car or just settle for...dare i say..a honda or toyota? if you guys can point me in the right direction where i can ask my 1 million newbie questions or if theres a FAQ somewhere let me know. or if someone is willing to chat online or email id love that as well. thanks! ---FF

An early model mustang is a great car, It can be a daily driver, id say if you're going to get one, geta 67-68 convertable. I just like the way they look better the 64 1/2 - 66. Youre not in over youre head, you want a mustang. But finding one thats in good condition, where you dont have to do any work/ restoration, can get to be expensive. Good Luck
Old 07-01-2005, 05:36 PM
Jinxed67Stang
2nd Gear Member

Heyas XRTPonyX, thanks for dropin him off here. I'll get started :P
FIRST NOOBIE MAN, WTF ARE DOIN HERE! and DO YA KNOW THE SECRET HAND SHAKE!

Just playin bro, welcome to the mustang forums!
As for your question about a daily driver, very very possible.
My 1967 was a daily driver till about 2 years ago. The guy drove it 20 miles to work and 20 miles home everyday in bumper to bumper traffic out of the city on to the freeway and home. Being that my stang has the original 289 motor and 2 barrel carb on it, it gets pretty good gas mileage. (Compared to my Ram with the 360 that gets 10 mpg goin down hill with the wind blowin) The car has no AC so that prolly helped the mileage but sucks when it's 98 out with 70% humidy so it feels like 110 . My stang drives straight and the seat is comfy. I've drove it as far as 2 hours from home and back and really enjoyed my small 4 hours in it when I first got it. For me I'd rather drive it to work because everyone I work with has toyotas and hondas. (Not that my lifted 4x4 ram doesnt stand out enough) but the antique tag and the mustang stand out in our parking lot quite nicely. The other things to consider are if your not a mechanic they are a pretty good car to learn on because you can get on line now and find tons of info specially from the guys here on MSForums and if your not wanting to wrench on it, most shops can easily work on them because there are no computers and fuel injection to mess with jus a good ol carb and some plug wires
Hope that helps, there is tons of info in the stickied section aka the first 10 post on the classic forums page, check some of that info out. If you spot a car you think youd like to have...snap some pics post em here and everyone here can tell you what to look for when purchasing a classic stang
lata
Shaun
Old 07-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Markstang1969
3rd Gear Member

LIke stangr66 said, it is not impossible, just a matter of budget and of course luck. For a really good runner you will be starting in the 7K range and depending on what you want done already it goes up from there. I hope that doesn't scare you off. Welcome to Mustangforums!
Old 07-01-2005, 10:09 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

The convertibles and Fastbacks are the most expensive for the 64-73 model years. It is possible to buy a convertible from that vintage, but be expecting to pay a pretty penny for a nice looking good running one. I dare say you could almost step into an early 2000 Mustang GT cheaper than you can get a nice vintage Vert for. In fact, my 03 Mach1 is only worth a few thou over 20. And, it only has 16 K miles on it. You pay dearly for the vingage mustangs. Unlike the modern cars, their prices increase as opposed to depreciating.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:30 AM
67vert

Dont worry about it...Im a Newbie too.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:42 AM
FrenchFrie

cool great info......ive been looking mostly at ebay for my cars, there seems to be tons of classics on there, im not sure of any other sourses right now.....as for price, im planning on tapping into my school loans for that hahahaha
Old 07-02-2005, 04:09 PM
chech626

Id look in classic trader at classcitrader.com they usually have quite a few mustang convertables and u wont have to get it shipped from a million miles away
Mustangs are great strong running cars my 65 has been my daily drive for about 4 years and requires less maintnence than my s10
good luck