Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

65 66 center console lighting questions,...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 05:20 PM
jamieNerikas66stang
3rd Gear Member

Default 65 66 center console lighting questions,...

i just installed a center console into my 66 gt a code,...

i just want to check to make sure its correct,...

with key to on or car running, and shift selector light is always lit up...correct?

with doors open, rear two lights come on in the rear end of the console....correct?

there is a light int he front compartment of the console,...i can not get this to work, does anyone know when its supposed to come on, how its supposed to come on? i just put a new bulb in there,..but cant seem to get anything to it,...
Old 07-04-2009, 06:07 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

I just installed a center console into my 66 gt a code,...

with key to on or car running, and shift selector light is always lit up...correct?
Correct, and a legal requirement in most states.

with doors open, rear two lights come on in the rear end of the console....correct?
Yes.

there is a light int he front compartment of the console,...i can not get this to work, does anyone know when its supposed to come on, how its supposed to come on? i just put a new bulb in there,..but cant seem to get anything to it,...
If it is the later type, in the top of the box, there should be a bronze finger extending down into the box. When the sliding door touches this, it provides a ground to the lamp, and allows it to light. If this door is not properly grounded…
The early console had a light in the panel nearest the firewall. IIRC, this one lights with the interior lights.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:13 AM
jamieNerikas66stang
3rd Gear Member

ok, i will have to mess with this later,..anyone have some pics of the correct way the springs and ground should be,..i have them done, but i dont know if they are correct
Originally Posted by 2+2GT
I just installed a center console into my 66 gt a code,...

Correct, and a legal requirement in most states.

Yes.

If it is the later type, in the top of the box, there should be a bronze finger extending down into the box. When the sliding door touches this, it provides a ground to the lamp, and allows it to light. If this door is not properly grounded…
The early console had a light in the panel nearest the firewall. IIRC, this one lights with the interior lights.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:36 AM
jamieNerikas66stang
3rd Gear Member

ok i got it,...

if i touch the metal tab with a wire and to the car it lights up,....

three things,....

1. why is the light so dim?

2. how do i ground the door?

3. how do i get tab to touch door? it appears i have to bend it,..or its been bent out of shape or where its supposed to be?
Old 07-05-2009, 11:55 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

ok i got it,...

if i touch the metal tab with a wire and to the car it lights up,....

three things,....

1. why is the light so dim?
Wrong bulb, bad bulb, or you haven't tried it at night.

2. how do i ground the door?
IIRC, the door grounds through one of the mounting springs.
http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/wiring/1965/1965h.jpg

3. how do i get tab to touch door? it appears i have to bend it,..or its been bent out of shape or where its supposed to be?
Well, it should be curving downward somewhat so the door contacts it when fully opened.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:30 PM
1965fastback
3rd Gear Member

Pics of install?
Old 08-10-2021, 12:02 AM
Brad L. J. Pearson

Originally Posted by jamieNerikas66stang
i just installed a center console into my 66 gt a code,...

If it is like the one that is in my 66 mustang, on the console just below the radio there is a flip up door the light inside has a lever or tongue that when the door opens it engages to the back of the door making the light come on. But the light has to be in the right place for that to happen.