Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Toploader Neutral Safety Switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Default Toploader Neutral Safety Switch

I need to add a NSS to our toploader at the linkage. I know a few others here (like Valley) have done this but I'm unsure what they have used. Was it simply an automatic C4/C6 like NPD part# 7A247-3 on page 132 of the 09 catalog or something different? Any pics of it installed?

I could always rig up a micro switch to be depressed when not in gear but if something easily screws on thats what I'm after at this point... just want it on the road!
Old 07-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

OK so Mark over at Toploader Heaven told me that when a Hurst shifter is in Neutral its rests to the right hand side between 3rd and 4th. Nice to know. I guess a small micro switch mounted passenger side/top would work. A small plate would have to be added to the shifter to extend across to trip the switch when resting in neutral.

Another less safe option would be to use the e-brake as a switch. ie the e-brake would have to be engaged fully before the car would crank. One would just have to remember to leave the car in neutral... I don't like this idea as much.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:00 PM
uibalnme
2nd Gear Member

I don't have a manual trans, but wouldn't be much easier to put a switch on the clutch pedal? That way the starter circuit would only be completed by stepping on the clutch. Just a thought.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Most manual transmission cars use a switch on the clutch pedal that closes when the pedal is somewhere near the end of its travel. Even my '08 GT is set up that way (and set too close to the floor, but that's a separate gripe).

My take-another-step-back question is whether there is any legal requirement to have such a switch in the first place, or whether the car might get loaned out to any occasional drivers not familiar with not having one.

I had an incident with the '79 Malibu that's in one of my albums where part of the clutch linkage came loose at the pedal, which then let the rest of it fly back up under the dash and break the little switch. Never did bother to replace it, just rigged what was left of it to be "always on" and plugged it back in.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-06-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

I know the switch is on the pedal in newer M/T cars however that will not work for our application. It needs to be placed with interaction directly from the neutral position of the shifter linkage.

Its very unlikely anyone besides my wife or I would be driving the car. If a friend was to be driving it we'd be there with them.