Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Talk me out of this... exhaust dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 02:11 AM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

man thats annoying you have to be a member to see those images...
Old 07-12-2009, 03:16 AM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Canary94GT
man thats annoying you have to be a member to see those images...
agreed. but on topic. unless your seriously looking to do a stock show car. make it your car. with my car i want it to look completely stock but have modern stuff and serious hp/tq. its all up to the owner
Old 07-12-2009, 07:25 AM
msmith
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys!

Sorry about the bad gallery link... this link should work:
http://gallery.me.com/msmith954/100013
Old 07-12-2009, 07:51 AM
NvrSumR
1st Gear Member

I'd go with a stock style dual exhaust. The car will never be truly stock, just because you go with a dual doesn't mean you have to get loud flowmasters either.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:02 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NvrSumR
I'd go with a stock style dual exhaust. The car will never be truly stock, just because you go with a dual doesn't mean you have to get loud flowmasters either.
I run the stock 2-muffler 2-resonator GT dual exhaust on my 289HP, and it has enough power to scare any passenger without being so loud it pisses off the neighbors.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:27 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by msmith
Thanks guys!

Sorry about the bad gallery link... this link should work:
http://gallery.me.com/msmith954/100013
Apart from the oversize tubes, that's not bad, even includes the H pipe, which actually mellows the sound and improves flow. The hangers, of course, are completely bogus.

What's a little scary, though, is you still have the single exhaust style rear brake hose, which puts you in real danger of brake failure. What you need to fix that is the dual style hose, which loops down away from the tailpipe, and the axle housing lines, axle line bolt, underbody bracket, and dual extension to go with the safer stock dual shown below. You can get most of this anywhere, but Glazier's has the bracket and extension. Either that or leave the brakes as they are and switch back to single exhaust, which is all you really need. Anyway, now that I've seen the photos, you have to do something, you can't just leave it like it is.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:06 PM
msmith
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
What's a little scary, though, is you still have the single exhaust style rear brake hose, which puts you in real danger of brake failure. What you need to fix that is the dual style hose, which loops down away from the tailpipe, and the axle housing lines, axle line bolt, underbody bracket, and dual extension to go with the safer stock dual shown below. You can get most of this anywhere, but Glazier's has the bracket and extension. Either that or leave the brakes as they are and switch back to single exhaust, which is all you really need. Anyway, now that I've seen the photos, you have to do something, you can't just leave it like it is.

That's a hell of a good point... Thanks!!!
Old 07-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

Really nice ride (I just saw the pix). If that's orig paint, please don't ever paint it. It can be color sanded and touched up and brought back to the same condition it left the factory with a new clear coat.

Please give us an update when you fix your pipes. Good luck.

CP
Old 07-12-2009, 02:24 PM
msmith
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Carlos Pineiro
Really nice ride (I just saw the pix). If that's orig paint, please don't ever paint it. It can be color sanded and touched up and brought back to the same condition it left the factory with a new clear coat.

Please give us an update when you fix your pipes. Good luck.

CP
Thanks, Carlos... the paint is original... parts of it are showing some cracking but it still has a decent shine for 43 year old paint. I'm not sure it could be brought back to original condition but I have no immediate plans to repaint the car.

It's a Dearborn built car delivered to the Ford fleet in Detroit (DSO is "Transportation Services") and, amazingly, it is rust free other than some surface rust issues. The car spent a lot of time in storage apparently and much of the last twenty years in Florida. It even has the Ford Employee Parking decal on the original back window. Now you can see why I'm trying not to depart from originality too much.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

Two things:

1. Yes, your paint can be restored, even with cracks.

2. Your orig paint is the most valuable part of that car.

CP

Quick Reply: Talk me out of this... exhaust dilemma