Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Damn My Smart A**! MOTOR MOUNTS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 03:06 AM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

Default Damn My Smart A**! MOTOR MOUNTS!

So a few nights ago I noticed a single knocking sound when I got on the accelerator hard, and everytime since then when I put my foot down a little it knocked. First thought: broken motor mount. Before checking the mount itself, I did the old "Hey look at my engine for a second while I hold the brakes and rev the engine in Drive" . Long story short, the right motor mount is completely cracked, way worse than a hairline crack. Engine wanted to jump out of the car. So I wanna replace them both with ones that are at least a little stronger than stock, with NO fitting issues. Guys have some good suggestions? And no solid metal ones either please . The sooner I know the sooner I can order the parts!
Old 07-13-2009, 03:11 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Lakewood makes high-durometer replacements that are designed so that they can't separate. Shy of some Ron Morris mounts, that's what I'd recommend.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:01 AM
shelbymustangdan
2nd Gear Member

I recently replaced my mounts with the Ron Morris product. If I had to do it all over again, I would have chosen the Lakewood route. Primarily because although the Ron Morris mounts "say" they are "stock height", they droped my engine down enough to alow my fan to slightly chew up my fan shround. Stock radiator, stock shroud, etc. I ended up placing some grade 8 "nuts" between the mounting surface to the block (one per bolt), basically a spacer, and using longer grade 8 bolts to make up for the increased distance. I don't forsee any problems with this fix, but time will tell.

Possibly the TCP (Total Control Products) mounts wouldn't have the same issue. http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/motormounts.html

Just my experience.....
Old 07-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-23-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:08 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I like the simplicity and ease of use of the RMP mounts.... They look WAY less cumbersome than stock mounts.

And yea, they probably do lower the engine a little bit vs. stock, but that is easy enough to overcome. Certainly too low increases the mounts flexibility some, even more so than ***** on stock.

For my son's Falcon conversion, we made 2 1/4" thick spacers out of plate steel to elevate the engine a half an inch.