Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

holley fuel pump good sucker?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 06:02 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Default holley fuel pump good sucker?

Hi all,

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-12-125/

bought this fuelpump but forgot pressure regulator, so I have to order.
Would you think that is a good enough sucker to mount to firewall at the height of carb?
Or should I be safe and mount to back. problem there is that the pump is huge. nearly no way to mount without that thing scratching the road. or maybe other ideas

I'm even half thinking ov throwing the holley 570Street avenger back in and use the preset pressure of the pump (7psi). but would need to mount somewhere else as pickup is at front of engine...

Last edited by kalli; 07-14-2009 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:58 AM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Noooo. Electric pumps don't pull very well at all. That far away, you will have problems. Constantly moving pumps back to the rear for people. Last guy was a SBC in a 56 Ford pickup. Would work for a while, then over heat leaving him stranded.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:55 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

thx. was a long shot. will mount it in the back so. don't wanna chance it
Old 07-14-2009, 11:29 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

There is a pretty good Spot just forward of the gas tank and just behind the pumpkin where a Holley pump and regulator will fit pretty good and is out of the way with relation to road hazards and other stuff...

I thought I had a pic, but I don't....
Old 07-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Keep in mind, you should really have a safety cutoff for the fuel pump in case of an accident. I'm sure it wouldn't take much to pirate a Ford inertia switch and hack it into the system.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:58 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

JMD: Will have another look. the summit pump i have, I made a bracket with loads of rubber. It's basically hanging from about where the front mounting bolts of the tank are. so it's currently right next to the fuel sender unit. the new holley pump is _huge_, so might have to come up with something different. now the new pump has the inlet on the right hand side, for this I need to mount to the right of the sender (let looking at it). painful ... or I just turn the pump around but I would miss on the nice looks of it. but noone's gonna see it down there anyway.
That's one of the reasons why I wanted it up front.

Tad: never thought of inertia switch. had a relay and oil pressure switch in mind (or STA terminal with relay), but that won't give me any fuel during start.
I'll ask a local car parts store to see what they can organise as inertia switch. Should be no bother fixing in if it's a simple switch with 2 connectors that are seperated on crash

Last edited by kalli; 07-15-2009 at 05:06 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:36 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
JMD: Will have another look. the summit pump i have, I made a bracket with loads of rubber. It's basically hanging from about where the front mounting bolts of the tank are. so it's currently right next to the fuel sender unit. the new holley pump is _huge_, so might have to come up with something different. now the new pump has the inlet on the right hand side, for this I need to mount to the right of the sender (let looking at it). painful ... or I just turn the pump around but I would miss on the nice looks of it. but noone's gonna see it down there anyway.
That's one of the reasons why I wanted it up front.
Since the Mustang does not live at my house anymore, I can't just go and snap a picture of it... I will see if I can get Jim to snap one for me...

We were able to fit a Holley pump there with some "creative plumbing"...
Old 07-15-2009, 04:45 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
Since the Mustang does not live at my house anymore, I can't just go and snap a picture of it... I will see if I can get Jim to snap one for me...

We were able to fit a Holley pump there with some "creative plumbing"...
ah .. James moved out. didn't know. it would be great to see how you did it. I can see exactly that coming on to me ... creative plumbing :-) in my case that usually looks like a botcher job