Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Modern Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Home Slice

Default Modern Suspension

I am rebuilding a '67 Fastback and I would for it to be a more well rounded drive. However, the boat-like handling of the classic muscle cars (relative to today) is holding me back. I was thinking maybe I could transplant the front and rear end suspension assemblies from current gen Mustang to it. Either that or have someone build me a completely custom four corner double wishbone suspension and use the current gen steering rack. Has anyone heard of or seen either of these things done? Any suggestions?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:38 PM
jcoby
2nd Gear Member

how much do you want to spend? you can do what you're talking about but it's probably going to run you $10k. there are several coilover kits and there is a kit to transplant the cobra IRS into a '67-'68. one of the mustang mags showed how to transplant late-model struts and steering into a 1st gen. and you can get brakes in pretty much any size from 11" and up; stock, cobra, or aftermarket.

most people here are going to point you at doing the Shelby/Arning UCA drop, adding a 15/16" sway-bar, upgrading the shocks, adding a monte-carlo bar and export brace, front discs, 550# lowering springs, mid-eye leafs, rollerized spring perches, and call it a day. all of that can be had for about $2k.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Having already done it, I'd agree with jcoby and recommend an upgraded stock suspension. The Shelby drop, good suspension components, and roller spring perches make for a very well handling ride that won't rattle your teeth out of your skull and will leave money leftover for the rest of the car.

But, if you have $ to burn, you can do whatever your heart desires. If I had a money tree, I'd swap to a full TCP suspension, or maybe figure out a torque arm setup for the rear.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Home Slice

Hmmm... that TCP suspension looks at least as good as the custom double wishbone setup I was envisioning. Probably cheaper too. I have no problem spending $5k on the rear end suspension. I was prepared for $15k for all four corners. I will definitely be swapping the FR500C power steering assembly in. If I am building the car I have wanted since I was 10, I am going to do it right.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Fair enough. Go for it and post progress pics
Old 08-04-2009, 10:07 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

You can get a full frame http://www.gmachinechassis.com/ or http://www.maxgsystems.com/presenter...aspx?Id=104557 http://www.griggsracing.com/ http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/ http://www.rrs-online.com/ all those should help you.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:36 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Most of the bad handling from classic Mustangs is a combination of worn components, Ford's total lack of proper suspension design, and soft springs/shocks. They can all be fixed, replace components, relocate a arms, better alignment etc.

If you do have the money to spend though, I'd go with Global West's front coil over(TCP's is nice also, but the adjustable upper a arms are almost overkill, and require someone who REALLY knows how to align a car, like a racing chassis shop, also tubular arm swaps accomplish the same, but the coil over kits make the LCA the loaded arm and improve the ride quality), and the TCP 3 link pushrod rear. Between a good coil over front and the TCP 3 link, you'd have a car(with proper chassis stiffening) that would handle as well or better than any modern sports car. But yeah, you'd be into it for around $10k.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:44 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
Having already done it, I'd agree with jcoby and recommend an upgraded stock suspension. The Shelby drop, good suspension components, and roller spring perches make for a very well handling ride that won't rattle your teeth out of your skull and will leave money leftover for the rest of the car.

But, if you have $ to burn, you can do whatever your heart desires. If I had a money tree, I'd swap to a full TCP suspension, or maybe figure out a torque arm setup for the rear.
Try this:
Shelby/Arning drop Arning/Shelby Suspension Drop
1" front bar
3/4" rear bar
GT or progressive front springs
GT rear springs
Kayaba or Koni shocks
4-turn steering gearbox (you may already have this)
Export brace
Monte Carlo bar
Traction Masters

This'll cost you under 2k even if you pay someone else to do the work. Then get back to us and let us know if you still think it's "boat-like".

Last edited by 2+2GT; 12-12-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:56 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Try this:
Shelby/Arnung drop
1" front bar
3/4" rear bar
GT or progressive front springs
GT rear springs
Kayaba or Koni shocks
4-turn steering gearbox (you may already have this)
Export brace
Monte Carlo bar
Traction Masters

This'll cost you under 2k even if you pay someone else to do the work. Then get back to us and let us know if you still think it's "boat-like".

lol +1

I just finished my suspension up, a arm drop, springs, shocks etc....definitely NOT boat-like. Very stable at speed, tracks straight, rides like a sports car.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:47 AM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

I am using a Ron Morris front coil over kit and a TCP Gbar rear suspension. The car handles just as good as my Lexus IS300. I topped my setup off with a rack and pinion kit from Steeroids. I really like my setup.

Quick Reply: Modern Suspension