Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Frame rail assembly

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:04 PM
mustangdemon01
2nd Gear Member

Default Frame rail assembly

Hey guys-

Ive been debating back and forth with my buddy on how to weld the frame rails. The rails that I got are 2 piece (one sits in the other) for each rail as you might already know.

I have the factory weld manual for that car that specifies where the factory spot welds were but didnt know if this would fully apply.

The three options that we thought up were:

1. Align the two pieces together, tack weld them in, make sure they are completely straight, then weld along the seam on top and bottom. (no spot weld holes needed)

2. Drill out holes according to factory spot welds on both rails, then use another piece of metal on the backside of the two and fill the hole in. The breaking/cut the supporting metal once hole is filled.

3. drill spot weld holes on the piece that sits in the other, fill in spot weld hole using the second piece as the conductor. Then weld along the seam for added support.

Im new to all the welding techniques so if these don't sound right at all let me know what you suggest. Those of you that've done your own rails let me know your experiences.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails Frame rail assembly-frame-rails2.jpg  
Old 08-08-2009, 01:46 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

If you try to lay a bead right down it all at once, it will move around and probably not be straight. The factory spots would be a good place to start, and really it depends on if you want it to appear factory correct or if you just want it to work. You can weld it all together but do it in sections, weld about an inch them move down a few inches and put another inch long weld on it. Let it cool and do it between those, sort of like welding a quarter panel on but you can weld larger patches at once. Be sure you are getting a good weld too, you dont want it coming apart.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:58 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

1. Align the two pieces together, tack weld them in, make sure they are completely straight, then weld along the seam on top and bottom. (no spot weld holes needed)
Bad idea. Spreads the load farther from the fold, weakening the design.

2. Drill out holes according to factory spot welds on both rails, then use another piece of metal on the backside of the two and fill the hole in. The breaking/cut the supporting metal once hole is filled.
Bad idea. Too much work.

3. drill spot weld holes on the piece that sits in the other, fill in spot weld hole using the second piece as the conductor. Then weld along the seam for added support.
Bad idea. Too much work, and see #1.

Im new to all the welding techniques so if these don't sound right at all let me know what you suggest. Those of you that've done your own rails let me know your experiences.

#4. Two choices- Use a spot welder to spot weld them. Use a "rose weld", drill a 3/8" hole on one side only, weld through the hole into the other panel. If rough, grind smooth. With practice, that won't be necessary.