Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Help with removal of a few things.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 05:25 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Default Help with removal of a few things.

I can't figure out how to get a few things off of my intake manifold and transfer a small plastic piece for the choke plate rod from one carb to another.

First the carb, I want to take off the small plastic piece that connects the choke rod to the plate from my 2100 to put on the 4100 and I cannot figure out how to do it. I took the choke off completely last night but I could not figure out how to get the rod go high or low enough to get the tab on the plastic piece straight up and down. Any ideas or suitable subs for the 4100?

to

Then next I can't get the heater elbow off of the old intake to put on the new one. Soaked it in penetrating oil last night and still it won't budge, has it just been binded to the intake? Also the other connection for the coil on the manifold, hell I don't even know what it is, all I know is that the coil connects to it, can't get that off either. Can someone tell what it is and for?

Would it almost be more worthwhile to go out and buy the parts new for the manifold?
Old 08-09-2009, 05:46 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Unscrew the nut all the way, then turn the nylon fitting 90° and it'll pop out.

The heater elbow is just a pipe thread. If it dies when you try to remove it, you needed a new one anyway.

The plug is NOT connected to the coil, it's the sensor for the temp gauge, also a pipe thread. Just unscrew the whole thing.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 08-09-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:49 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Unscrew the nut all the way, then turn the fitting 90° and it'll pop out.
Wow, thanks. Just when into the garage and realized how oblivious I was. I tried tackling that at about 1am last night after removing and replacing the intake with a friend a few cold ones.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:51 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by remicks
Wow, thanks. Just when into the garage and realized how oblivious I was. I tried tackling that at about 1am last night after removing and replacing the intake with a friend a few cold ones.
I added more comments.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:59 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Thanks, it honestly looked like the piece for the carb looked like one solid piece. I guess not having the best lighting does not help.

For the intake parts I can't get them to budge so I guess I might as well get some new ones. And I see what confused me with giving me the appearance it came from the coil. I looked closer and it is wrapped together with the ignition wire coming from inside.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Se4mus1
2nd Gear Member

I was never able to get that heater elboy out either, and u can find that engine temp sensor easy, just be sure you know what year its from. halfaway threw 1966 the changed the size on that piping so there are two different options.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:15 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the tip. Hopefully 67 had one size, if not Kragen is just around the corner so I can just exchange real easy.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Se4mus1
2nd Gear Member

Yeah just bring in the manifold and they will hook u up with both parts.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:10 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

If your 4V manifold has one, just use that. They all had the same electrical value.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:03 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
If your 4V manifold has one, just use that. They all had the same electrical value.
I couldn't get it out yesterday and I had it soak in penetrating oil overnight. I couldn't get it out today but I didn't have anyone help holding it. Went to Kragen and the guy was nice enough to help get it out. Barely managed to break it free but it finally came out. Saved me 20 bucks and few days waiting.

But the heater elbow still would not budge. So I went down to the hardware store and got a brass new one, eliminated the need for the adapter for the new manifold.

Hopefully just about done with the swap, just have to reassemble a few things and then change the oil and refill the radiator.

Quick Reply: Help with removal of a few things.