Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Is my motor mount going out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 05:10 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Default Is my motor mount going out?

I was under my car trying to take care of a number of problems and noticed this...

My driver side motor mount does not look like its in the best of shape. These motor mounts are only like 2 years old, put in when the motor was rebuilt. I threw in a picture of the other motor mount which looks great for a comparison.

Is this still OK or do I need to replace it?

Good motor mount...
Old 08-11-2009, 06:02 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

It's not going, it's toast.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:36 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
It's not going, it's toast.
Really??? #$%! that's what I was afraid of. I didn't notice any difference in shaking or driving. What could cause this side to go out like this but the other one still looks brand new?

Now do I have to replace them both or will I be okay with just that one?

damnit.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:34 PM
jcoby
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4reboy
Really??? #$%! that's what I was afraid of. I didn't notice any difference in shaking or driving. What could cause this side to go out like this but the other one still looks brand new?

Now do I have to replace them both or will I be okay with just that one?

damnit.
one side is under compression, the other under tension during acceleration.

it should be ok to replace just the one.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:45 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

its actually not that hard of a repair. you just need to unbolt the motor mount so when you jack the engine up or lift it up the mount comes off the frame. then unbolt the mount from the engine and replace it with a new one. its only cost about $15 and it takes less then an hour.

just be very careful and brace the engine so if it slips it doesn't come down on you.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:58 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4reboy
What could cause this side to go out like this but the other one still looks brand new?
Well, if it's a nice powerful engine and you like to drive it hard I could think of a reason…
Old 08-11-2009, 08:41 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Look up lakewood they make motor mounts that look oem but are stronger.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:57 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

You could just run a 5/16 flat head bolt through the new standard mount, with the flat head countersunk on the bottom, and a shakeproof nut at the top. Leave it just loose enough to turn the bolt by hand. You could probably drag race without breaking the mount.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:47 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Well, if it's a nice powerful engine and you like to drive it hard I could think of a reason…
Well, there we go I wouldn't call it too "powerful" it's not super tricked out... but it is a nice healthy rebuild with an RV cam. Probably pushing 320hp or so with the cam, intake and carb since stock is 290...

and the compression/tension thing makes sense, the engine does compress down to the driver side when accelerated, as I'm sure you all know haha. EDIT now that I think about it its toward the passenger side lol.

and $15 for the mount doesn't sound too bad, I was under the impression it was like $60, I'll have to check my local place.

Now my dad and I have another reason to get an engine hoist... he wants to pull the engine out of his cj, and now I need to replace my motor mount.

Do I need to take my hood off to do this or do you think I can get enough lift to hold it up? I would imagine it probably depends on the hoist and how that's set up.

Also, should I take out the long bolt holding the other mount to the frame? I imagine I should... lol

Last edited by 4reboy; 08-12-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:04 AM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

You might be able to change the mount by just jacking up the motor without removing it.

Be careful not to stomp the gas with the old cracked mount or your fan will chew up the shroud when the motor bucks from the torque if it cracks all the way.

CP

Quick Reply: Is my motor mount going out?