Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

alternator wiring 68 289

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Billkubi

Default alternator wiring 68 289

Trying to help a friend with his car, are there any pictures or descriptions of how the alternator is hooked up. There is a red wire running direct from the alternator to the battery but not connected, and the majority of the gauges do not work.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:15 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

As you can see here, the alternator plugs into the wiring harness, so it is easy to connect properly.

http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/wiring/1967/67ignit1.jpg
Old 09-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Billkubi

I found the regulator, it does not have any wires connected to it. The alternator is new and looks like a modern one with a built in regulator, and on top it has a quick disconnect with three wires, on the back there is a wire running straight to the battery, not sure how the connection works, the ammeter shows a discharge with the engine running and when the lights or anything else is on it shows a bigger discharge.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:31 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Billkubi
I found the regulator, it does not have any wires connected to it. The alternator is new and looks like a modern one with a built in regulator, and on top it has a quick disconnect with three wires, on the back there is a wire running straight to the battery, not sure how the connection works, the ammeter shows a discharge with the engine running and when the lights or anything else is on it shows a bigger discharge.
Hmmm… With non-stock wiring you're gonna have to get real good at reading the schematic. Or you could just get a normal alternator. There is no advantage to the GM style you have.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Billkubi

Apparently this car has a GM alternator and the original voltage regulater has been disconnected. How do I MAKE SURE ALL THE WIRES ARE WERE THEY MUST GO TO CHARGE THE BATTERY and make the battery gauge work properly? what wire goes where? pictures will help
Old 09-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Billkubi

Default Left field question

How do I makle a quick check to see if the alternator is working with the motor running?
In the old days with a generator I would pull a wire off the battery, if it still ran the gen was working, what do you do with an alternator, can I use a test light to ground.
My ten thumbs friend was fooling around with this car and he said the wires sparked when he was hooking things up. I want to be sure he did not fry the new alternator. I just wanna be sure that is working right before I start chasing all the inop gauge wires
Old 09-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Billkubi

Default More info

We got a mirror and found it has a Motorcraft Alternator with a built in voltage regulator. Still need to test it and see if it works then we need to know the correct way to hook it up.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:57 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Billkubi
We got a mirror and found it has a Motorcraft Alternator with a built in voltage regulator. Still need to test it and see if it works then we need to know the correct way to hook it up.
You could just go down to Advance Auto and get the alternator your electrical system was designed for. $30 and all your troubles would go away.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

Dbl post
Old 09-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

That or just take the alt. you have off (2 bolts) and bring it to any auto parts and have it tested for free, then you'd know if he fried it and they'd probably recognize what year/amp it is.
Once you know the year/amp I'm sure someone has used it and can advise you how the hook ups go.
Jon

Quick Reply: alternator wiring 68 289