Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

MSD Dist. question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 08:17 AM
sixt5
2nd Gear Member

Default MSD Dist. question

a local guy has a msd pro billet dist. ( http://www.msdignition.com/product.a...575&terms=8479 ) for sale and since i need a new one for my setup i thought about picking it up. i was reading and it mentions that you must have a msd ignition control for it to work. is this just a marketing scam or what?
Old 10-11-2009, 08:55 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Just curious, why do you "need" an MSD?
Old 10-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I agree, why do you need an MSD distributor? The stock distributor works fine. If you run a box, you don't even need to do an electronic conversion.

Not saying I don't like my MSD ready-to-run, but it was a splurge buy and completely unnecessary. I got it mostly for ease of use; it's very easy to adjust the timing curve, and adding a box later is as simple as connecting a plug.

Oh, and to answer your question, unless it's the ready-to-run model, you do need an MSD box for it to work. I never really understood the point of buying an (expensive) MSD distributor that needs a box to run. You can get the same operation from a stock distributor with points.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:15 PM
sixt5
2nd Gear Member

ha sorry guys, some words got took out of text and the whole story isnt present.

im selling my motor in there now to fun my 347 build. motor is going to be complete, air cleaner to oil pan and i've gotten a LOT of hits mainly since its a 100% complete engine. so im replacing everything. i dont NEED a msd but i need a distributor. its priced 175 obo.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Why not get a reman stock replacement? Throw in a Pertronix kit, or something like Summit's CDI box with the stock points, and you're set to go for less than $175.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:38 PM
sixt5
2nd Gear Member

so whats the big hype about msd? currently i have a stock dist. with the pertronix electronic conversion and a flamethrower coil on 8mm wires. only thing i really like is the rpm limiter
Old 10-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

The distributor in itself isn't really anything fancy. Like I said, I got mine because it's very easy to set the mechanical advance curve and because adding a box later doesn't require any wire splicing. The magnetic trigger on them seems to be pretty reliable as well, in my experience. I just don't hear of many problems with MSD products. It's also shiny But it's completely unnecessary.

The box, on the other hand, has other functions. By providing multiple sparks under 3k, you increase mixture burn and throttle response at lower rpm's, especially with cams that have lots of valve overlap. You don't absolutely need a box, and shouldn't expect any significant power increases when converting from a working electronic ignition (or even a new and properly adjusted points setup), but supposedly they really do help improve low-end driveability. Ask Kalli, he just dumped a Crane box in his car.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:01 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sixt5
so whats the big hype about msd? currently i have a stock dist. with the pertronix electronic conversion and a flamethrower coil on 8mm wires. only thing i really like is the rpm limiter
You can get a rev limiter from Pertronix that will even work with stock ignition.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:41 AM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

C'mon, guys. I agree that an MSD or other hipo ignition system isn't always neccessary but lets get real, breaker point ignition systems are very antiquated in this day and age. ANY good reliable electronic setup is going to be superior to a breaker point system any day. Espescially for a motor like he is building.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:33 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i had the pertronix II billet distributor, what I hated about it was the fact I couldn't adjust the vacuum advance. 2+2 mentions that pertronix have rpm limiting kits, and only recently they marketed the pertronix III which is the ignitor II module with added rpm limiter.

However if your distributor is fine, i'd rather spend the money on the box (CDI) which includes rev limiter. chances are good it supports your current distributor.
For me that made a huge difference. I posted about this seperatly like Tad says. the low end driveabiliuty increased massively.
I can drive the car now from 1st to 5th gear without ever having to rev past 1500 to flick into next gear. that is a cruising non-plus-ultra when you are not in a hurry. no stuttering whatsover. I explained it with 5th gear, but for example in 4th at 25mph the engine would stutter. not anymore.
It's simply down to my CDI box (i have the crane HI-6) providing a stronger spark. as simple as that.

Kalli

Last edited by kalli; 10-12-2009 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: MSD Dist. question