Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Our '65 coupe project, so it begins (Lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 03:02 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Well today November 1st is exactly two years of ownership that we have had our '65 coupe. I can't believe that we have had this car for two years already.

We have given ourselves a 4-5 year time frame to get it driving, maybe not fully done, but at least driving in time for the Mustangs 50h anniversary.

It is starting to look like a totally different car then it did 2 years ago when we got it.

Thanks to all the members input over the past two years that have helped me get this far. THANK YOU!!

It is getting too cold to paint, so I decided to check on area that has been in my interest the past two years, the dreaded cowl.

I am not spending my time drilling the welds out on a part that I will not be saving so I'm taking a different approach to taking the cowl top off. The top is too rusty to want to save.
I just did this to see what was inside and get most of the mess out of it.

It is not as bad as I thought it may be.
I don't see any old holes, just a couple new ones that I put in getting junk out, so I think I had a window leak that may have caused the floors to go because I don't see any in the cowl.
Once I get the rest of the cowl top off I'll have to decide if I want to save this metal underneath just by sanding and POR-15 it or replace it.
Lynn

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 11-01-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:09 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65springtime
Wow, she sounds like a keeper. Wish my wife got interested in my projects. She just thinks it is a money pit. Well, guess I have owned many money pits in our 47 years of marriage. But like you, I engoy it.
Yes, she is a keeper and she knows it is a money pit, but it is her car, so she accepts it. She is a good sport about it though, I have had some expensive hobbies over the 22 years we have been together.
Lynn
Old 11-05-2011, 09:07 PM
65springtime
1st Gear Member

Man, to be honest that cowl looks great. Most seem to have rusted away with holes and I am affraid to look at mine. You are doing a great job on your Stang. Yep, winter can be a bummer.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:15 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Here is a little bit of work I got done on the wheel well today.
I messed up the main patch for the butt weld on the wheel well, so I'll have to patch the patch.

I patched the hole behind the wheel patch first, then I'll put the wheel well patch over that.

I'll have to prep the wheel well patch, then I can weld it in and seam seal it up.

Lynn

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 11-08-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:16 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65springtime
Man, to be honest that cowl looks great. Most seem to have rusted away with holes and I am affraid to look at mine. You are doing a great job on your Stang. Yep, winter can be a bummer.
Thanks!!
I may just patch up the holes that I do come across and Chassis Saver the rest.
It seems silly to rip the whole thing out.
Lynn
Old 11-09-2011, 02:16 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

I can't tell you how many times I've patched a patch. Adding more and more metal while welding....
I think you're doing an excellent job as is, but it's great to see you going the extra mile to make the patches even better. It certainly shows my work up!
Keep up the excellent work!
Old 01-03-2012, 12:44 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Here is a little update for the winter.
Since I'm inside winter bound and I can't do anything outside in the garage because it is too cold I'm doing some small stuff inside the basement to keep me on track and my interest peaked on the car.
I got a 8" rear end from a '73 Maverick and the correct '65-'66 V8 spindles painted and ready to go.
Rear end diff before.

Rear end diff after. I just gave a good cleaning and painted it up. The red primer shade is a little off, but it looks better then just plain black, I like to see a little color break up.

Housing painted in Chassis Saver paint.

Enjoy,
Lynn
Old 01-03-2012, 01:06 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hightower2011
I can't tell you how many times I've patched a patch. Adding more and more metal while welding....
I think you're doing an excellent job as is, but it's great to see you going the extra mile to make the patches even better. It certainly shows my work up!
Keep up the excellent work!
Thanks!!
Yeah, that gets frustrating but it is easy to hide when done, so I don't worry about it.
Lynn
Old 03-18-2012, 01:19 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

OK, with it almost 70 degrees here in NE PA with the no winter that we have had I decided to work on the car early this year, almost a full month early then last year.
I started to work on the rear wheel well patch that I started last fall in my last post.
I got it mostly welded in place now.
I'll get pics up in a few days.
Let the year start out strong!!
Lynn
Old 03-18-2012, 01:59 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

77 degrees in NE Ohio yesterday - we got you beat!

We just got back at it this weekend, too. How spoiled were we this winter? Anyway, looking forward to seeing some progress from you!

Quick Reply: Our '65 coupe project, so it begins (Lots of pics)