Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Our '65 coupe project, so it begins (Lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 11:18 AM
mustangsinmichigan

this summer im gettin to work on it. i wanna pull the engine, suspension, everything. take an inventory see what i can use again and see what needs to be replaced. you can be sure i'll have many more update pictures coming this summer.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:58 PM
GibMax
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up Nice work

Nice work on that cool ride. I just don't have the experience to do work like that. Spend a good amount of time just learning how to clean up some dents and paint problems this summer on my 66. You are an inspiration dude.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:04 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GibMax
Nice work on that cool ride. I just don't have the experience to do work like that. Spend a good amount of time just learning how to clean up some dents and paint problems this summer on my 66. You are an inspiration dude.
Thanks!
I don't have the experience either, I'm just winging it and learning as I'm going. This is my first time for doing something of this large a project so I'm a restoration virgin also.

Just read a lot, ask a lot of questions, and decide what options are good for your situation.
When I found out it would cost over $2000 to do the cowl alone I said "F it" I'll learn to do it my self. I've got almost $1000 invested in a welder, supplies for it, and tools to take off panels. When I'm done I'll have a good supply of tools, knowledge, and satisfaction that I did it my self.

Lynn
Old 01-09-2010, 09:46 AM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

I always think that is the best way as long as you have the time. It can also be very therapeutic.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:29 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Update.
I just ordered my Grab a Trac suspension from MU that has 1" lowering front coils, 4 leaf mid eye rear springs, 1" front sway bar, 3/4" rear sway bar and GR 2 KYB shocks.
I plan to order the all the front end parts and a bunch of others parts that I need this weekend when CJ Pony's does the 10% off for the weekend.

My welder is now all set and I got everything to run it, I just got to do it.
I did get a few more parts restored in the basement since I posted anything here last. I just can't wait until the weather breaks so I can get back outside in the garage and dive into her again.

Lynn
Old 02-23-2010, 01:36 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

Sounds like it moving along.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:26 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jrherald420
Sounds like it moving along.
LOL!!
Slowly!!
I can't wait until it gets warm again, I was outside assessing things on the car and I said to heck with it, I'm not working out in this cold. I just got new 6 ton jack stands today so I could get the car up a bit higher to work under it and I said to heck with it I'm not getting them under the car either. LOL!
How's your going? Making any headway?

Lynn
Old 02-23-2010, 03:04 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

Its in the storage yard still, im getting a 10x30 storage unit and a media blaster in a couple of months to save me about 2000.00 in stripping costs and renting a trailer and truck to haul it there. Im heading to Alabama in a month to pick up its engine, a 95 Lincoln Mark VIII 4.6 dohc with 89,xxx miles on it, other than that ive just been buying tools here and there.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:58 PM
64.5stanger
2nd Gear Member

LynnBob, Id have to say u got a pretty damn good deal on that car. Good body+ sheet metal , and motor for 2k. Ours needs bout 2k in sheet metal.
U R not the only one waiting for spring temps!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:52 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LynnBob Mustang
LOL!!
Slowly!!
I can't wait until it gets warm again, I was outside assessing things on the car and I said to heck with it, I'm not working out in this cold. I just got new 6 ton jack stands today so I could get the car up a bit higher to work under it and I said to heck with it I'm not getting them under the car either. LOL!
How's your going? Making any headway?

Lynn
No snow today, but plenty of rain!!! I really know how you feel. I just came back from looking at a house nearby. It had 4.6 acres and get this a 35' X 75' garage that had a shooting range in it. There was enough room for about 10 rebuilds to be going on at once and some.
Too bad the house was a chopped up re-renovated mess that would take sooooooooo much time to fix.
I asked if I could just buy a small parcel of land with the building on it. LOL

Quick Reply: Our '65 coupe project, so it begins (Lots of pics)