Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Restoring a 1968 Mustang Convertible: Best place to find parts needed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 04:02 PM
laxexquis

Ok here are the other pics I was talking about, not much, and the car is much further along with the a lot more taken out, I just haven't been there with my camera in a while. Will try to eventually get some more recent ones.

The engine is all ready to be put back in, but it will be a while. We will most likely repaint the car without the engine. The transmission is currently being rebuilt in a separate shop.

John

Last edited by laxexquis; 07-01-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:36 PM
laxexquis

Hello again,

car is progressing.

Have a few questions about making it a GT clone, can I easily get the proper wheels, tires and GT caps? If so, where?

John

Last edited by laxexquis; 07-01-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:41 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I'm glad to see your project is moving along. Most Mustang parts stores have the correct wheels and center caps. You could also try looking for a used set to save some cash.

A short while back there was a member of this forum that was actually trying to sell a set. Maybe someone remembers who that was.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:19 PM
laxexquis

Hello,

It's been a long time since I've posted here! All the mechanical stuff on the car has been completed, including a new wiring harness with fog and tachometer wire and a tachometer we found off ebay (has to be rebuilt). Also dual exhaust with quad tips, new rear valence etc.

We haven't even started the interior yet, as you may remember we're turning it from black to red, we have most of the parts including the recovered seats, but are waiting for the car to have body work done. In addition to paint, right now all the panels are not lined up properly and there are uneven gaps, so somehow the whole car must be aligned. We think this might of happened because the new floors were welded in without the engine installed. We're also trying to get the rear and front heights correct, which is hard as it now has new springs.

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Um, that's not the "correct" radio, not even close. But it'll work just fine.
2+2GT-

Why is this radio incorrect? I thought it seemed like the right one in comparison to the original AM, also looked the same in the owners manual. Is it even close to the original AM FM? If you have a picture on hand that would be great!

It seems the new dual exhaust is almost too "rumbley" sounding, is it supposed to be louder than the single pipe? we're looking for the way it originally was and it almost seems after market. Is that the way it was?

Also, if anyone knows a good place to send the tachometer to have it rebuilt, that would be great!

Thanks everyone!