Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Galvanized metal in car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 10:23 AM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

Default Galvanized metal in car?

Are any parts of the mustang made of Galvanized steel? What about treating with zinc (Metal Ready). Would that make it a type of galvanized steel?
I removed all the paint, rust and glue from the interior roof of my car. And treated it with POR15 metal Ready. The paint I plan to topcoat (Rustoleum) with says not to use on Galvanized steel. I read in a thread last week that a Zinc coating was a kinda like leaving a galvanized coating.
I plan to paint/prime the interior roof areas with POR15 anti-rust paint, then topcoat with Rustoleum since the POR isn't UV resistant. Since I can't possibly get all of the tight/hidden areas along the doors and window frames, the rustoleum may come in contact with the bare metal in these areas. I'm sure the paint will come in contact with the bare metal areas I cannot clean or paint by hand (spray gun for Rustoleum) Even ford didn't get most of these areas. Is this OK or will there be some bad reaction between the paint and the metal if it's galvanized or zince coated? Will it peel, bubble, eat through it or even not stick to it?
Thanks all!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:58 AM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

The rocker panels on the classic mustangs are galvanized
Old 11-10-2009, 11:06 AM
jcoby
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
The rocker panels on the classic mustangs are galvanized
that explains why my stud welder wouldn't work! i tried everything to get the metal clean but it just wouldn't hold.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:20 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

The valence panels, outer rocker, top of the cowl, and few small parts were galvanized. Replacement panels, even genuine Ford valence panels, were not galvanized.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:35 AM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

The Headliner rods look lite GALV. What about the metal around the door openings and Windshield/backlight? The metal that goes up and around the door openings (inside the car that headliner rods hook to) looks like it may be galvanized. It looks grey, unlike the sheet-metal of the roof. Those are the ones I am really worried about using the wrong products on.
You aren't supposed to use rust reversers and removers (or rustolieum?) on any galvanized.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:02 PM
super64
1st Gear Member

then topcoat with Rustoleum since the POR isn't UV resistant.

Why do we need UV resistance underneath the headliner or any other area that never sees the sun?
Thanks,
Brian
Old 11-11-2009, 10:53 AM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by super64
Why do we need UV resistance underneath the headliner or any other area that never sees the sun?
Since some interior base metal (window posts, Dash and firewall) will be visible. They get painted. I am not actively going to spray areas that don't show. But I am not going to mask everything else inside the car when it will have permanent panels, carpet and headliners installed over them. No one will ever see these areas, so it isn't worth the time to mask all of it! (or paint it!).... Unless the paint coming in contact could actually do damage to the area.
The areas over the door are not being painted directly.. But it may get overspray from painting in such a tight/enclosed space when I do the windshield posts.
I wasn't asking if I could use the paint on these areas. I wanted to know if I should go out of my way to keep paint off of it or any other specific areas.
Hope that clears it up.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:58 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jcoby
that explains why my stud welder wouldn't work! i tried everything to get the metal clean but it just wouldn't hold.
What did you need up doing to correct your problem?
Since galv metal is only a coating laid on top of regular steel I would assume you would have to grind it down really well to get the galv coating off the steel instead of a light sanding a cleaning with a chemical so it is down to true bare steel to be welded.
I've got replace mine on the drivers side, I got a full new outer and I got replace part of the inner at the least, I will know more when I get into that project.

Lynn