Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

NEED HELP REFURBISH

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 10:59 PM
Exar Ganis

Default NEED HELP REFURBISH

How much would it cost to refurbish a 68 mustang. Its in excellent condition, but I want a new coat of paint, and a new air conditioning unit, and perhaps even replacing every screw inside so it looks completely brand new. I hope this doesn't cost more than several thousand dollars because i could almost buy a new mustang.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:14 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: NEED HELP REFURBISH

Welcome to the classic section of MF. Many classic mustangers have more money invested in their classics than you can buy a new Mustang for. If you want a new car, then I suggest you invest in a new Mustang. These old cars will never be new as far as safety features, etc. are concerned. You need to decide if you want a daily driver, or a trailer queen. If you want a daily driver that looks good, then get out your pocket book, and hone up on your mechanical skills. Sorry bro....that's just the way it is.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:28 PM
KLS1968STANG

You won't get the same look with a new Mustang. The old one may not handle or be as maintenance free as a new one, but the feeling you get when you drive it.... Enjoy the classic.

I've dollied old stangs before they were driveable and people will wave and smile like i'm the president. As for cost.... Anything you do to the car can cost as little or as much as you choose. Always remember, "you get what you pay for". GOOD LUCK
Old 07-20-2005, 11:32 PM
Exar Ganis

Dang it. That just blew my dream away.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:08 PM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

depending on how much you decide to reburbish it could very well cost a couple of thousand dollars. Remember that these cars are not perfect, nor do they drive perfect, but thats the whole point of this hobby, reliving what they were, not comparing what they are. i think that you will get more satisfaction out of finishing a car yourself rather than have one done, or as some refer to as (turn keys.) as for a new or even rebuilt a/c compressor, i think it cost me about 600 dollars or so to get all the seals and new freon(r-34) put in. A new coat of paint or a whole paint job will and can get pricey. If you want a macco finish expect crappy work and about a price of 400 dollars. if you want a good finish, go to a good reliable shop that you hear good things about. Im not really sure what you mean by new screws in the interior, because there are alot, but take your time, and enjoy what your doing, trust me its worth it
Old 10-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Please don't get a Maaco paint job. The paint will start peeling off in a few years. For a first class paint job, expect to pay between 3 and 5 thousand dollars. Depending on your metal under your present paint will dictate that cost difference. And, as has been mentioned, these old cars are high maintenance. If you are a wrench turner, or at least willing to learn to be one, then you will thoroughly enjoy driving and maintaining a classic. But, if you are the kind that has to have a mechanic or body man take care of your car, then the expense will be a lot. Not to say they aren't dependable, but again they are high maintenance.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:57 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

I love to work on my mustang. And replacing all the interior screws is like $20.(not even worth the 20 IMO) We didnt crush your dreams. How old are you? If you are younger like me then i would go the classic route.
Are you saying that you have almost enough money to buy a new mustang? If so then you could buy a mustang for around 12k in decent condition. (assuming that you dont have a mustang yet. )
I hope this doesn't cost more than several thousand dollars because i could almost buy a new mustang.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:04 PM
Silver Ponys
2nd Gear Member

Exar

What i do is shop around and figure out how much all the parts i want to replace are going to cost then triple it. After I have spent that amount i quit counting. It gets addictive you make one thing look good and then the part next to it needs to look that good and so on. At least thats how it works for me
Old 10-19-2005, 01:57 AM
Navy65stang

This is my first post and I have just started restoring my 65 about 2 months ago. I really don't have a whole lot to do to it as it was a decent car when I got it and I got a great deal. I agree with some of the other posts here about going with the classic look. I am making my car look the way it did (for the most part). Except when you open the hood. That is where I will go a little more modern. The more I get into the car the more stuff I find that I want to replace.