Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

67 FB Restoration Has Started - How Bad Is This? (Pic Heavy Warning)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:46 PM
chilebilly
1st Gear Member

Default 67 FB Restoration Has Started - How Bad Is This? (Pic Heavy Warning)

The restoration of my 1967 Fastback started today. Very productive day. We removed everything we could in the engine bay and underneath the car minus the engine/transmission. Engine removal will happen as soon as we get an engine stand. Interior is next. Everything went smooth until we took a look at the floor pans. So my question is - how bad is this? It looks pretty bad to me but I know it can all be fixed. Pictures not re-sized in hopes of showing detail...

It looks like the floor pans were replaced (1980s is my guess, before my family took ownership) but not the right way. Donor car floor pans just dropped in? Once the interior is removed it should be more telling.

It looks like original pans were cut out and new pans just dropped in here. Also notice that the e-brake cable is being pushed down by the floor pans. This was typical of both driver and passenger side.

This is forward looking aft. I'm not sure if the floor pans are sagging out or if the frame bar shown on the left was pushed up. It almost appears as if it is both. Any thoughts?

More ugliness.

Hard to tell in this image but that frame rail is actually twisted counter-clockwise and appears to be arc-ed upwards. Is this a huge problem?

Nothing to show here I just thought it looked cool!

Last edited by chilebilly; 04-30-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

good luck with the project.
what's the rest of the car like?
Old 04-30-2010, 11:17 PM
chilebilly
1st Gear Member

Well my avatar is what the car looked like yesterday, and every other day for the last few years.

A few other pics from today...

The engine before the tear apart effort.

The engine bay after. Still some work to do.

Trunk door removed as well as the really old cardboard speaker panel (not shown.)
Old 05-01-2010, 12:05 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

if the floor pans look like that, I would be suspect on the body also. judging by those bolts through the floorboard and panels laying on top of the cut out floor pan, you may have your work cut out for you. not expensive, just time consuming. Plan on replacing the entire floor. Take a small magnet to the exterior and check and see how much bondo you might have.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:20 AM
chilebilly
1st Gear Member

Good point groho. I have been expecting heavy bondo areas and other problems on the body. The car has some body damage that I am being pessimistic about and just hoping I am pleasantly surprised. I don't mind a bigger project, especially if it's not too expensive. It's a good excuse to learn.

I have done a magnet test and have a few problem areas marked. I'm already interested to see if I'm going to have to replace the left rear quarter panel due to an accident damage that the car already had when I got it. I plan to have the entire car media blasted to find all of the problems.

Last edited by chilebilly; 05-01-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:33 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Well, you'll definitely need a new 1-piece floor.

A shop near here has done these, here's one of them:

1966 GT350H Restoration

Last edited by 2+2GT; 05-01-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:38 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Besides the hack job of a floor the car don't look that bad.Did you check the cowl for rust?
Old 05-01-2010, 10:52 AM
chilebilly
1st Gear Member

I did not know they sold 1-piece floors. This was not something I expected to need to be repaired, but clearly it is something I cannot ignore. Is mustang barn the recommended supplier for this part?

I took a look at the cowl and did not see rust. As the project progresses we will determine if the cowl needs to be removed. The car does have some major body problems that will need to be worked out. I want to paint the car black again so it has to be straight. It also looks like the front valance and the bumpers are not in perfect shape. This is a CA car. It shows that they aren't always problem free!

Last edited by chilebilly; 05-01-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:10 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Yeah, have a look:

Old 05-01-2010, 12:53 PM
chilebilly
1st Gear Member

I have to admit after seeing my car, that looks amazing! Does it match the original floor exactly or have they beefed it up at all?

Quick Reply: 67 FB Restoration Has Started - How Bad Is This? (Pic Heavy Warning)