Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Oh my God! How many times can I remove my tranny???

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 06:02 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Default Oh my God! How many times can I remove my tranny???

Well I have lost track of how many times, but I did invest in a transmission jack. LOL I had to pull it this time because the throwout bearing had come off the fork. The reason that happened? The fulcrum I welded broke in a different place.

Well two days later and I have a clutch cable and oh my God what a difference. I am sure that mechanical clutch linkage works great when it is made up of parts from the same year car, but this one was pieced together and although it worked originally it was binding even with new z-bar bushings.

I fabricated my own bar to mount to the clutch pedal, borrowed the design from the modern driveline kit. I had a firewall adjuster that came with the last T5 I bought. It was anodized blue and Easy Off took care of restoring the natural aluminum finish. I borrowed a lot of ideas from JamesW's site: http://www.midnightdsigns.com/james/Cable%20Clutch.htm

I will see if I can snap a few pictures. I would have taken some during the process, but it has been in the high 90's here in NJ and I have been sweating like a pig which doesn't make for good photos.

Oh and Kalli I started the car without the tranny (but with the pressure plate and friction disc) and there didn't seem to be a vibration at 2500 rpm, but with the tranny installed it's there, a cyclical "whaa... whaa... whaa... whaa..." about a second apart. Not a shaking vibration, it's like a resonance. That's in neutral and in gear. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Last edited by scootchu; 06-24-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Gun Jam

vibration wise: In neutral with the clutch in or out??
Old 06-24-2010, 06:17 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
vibration wise: In neutral with the clutch in or out??
Both... I would have to double check, but I believe it's both. If you have ever been on a boat, like a inboard or IO and been up in RPM's, it's similar to that. A rhythmic pulsing vibration. My wife's cousin equated it to a solid motor mount car.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:06 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scootchu
The reason that happened? The fulcrum I welded broke in a different place.
Yeah, been there. It's called the 'heat affected zone'.

Originally Posted by scootchu
I am sure that mechanical clutch linkage works great when it is made up of parts from the same year car, but this one was pieced together and although it worked originally it was binding even with new z-bar bushings.
Last summer I rebuilt the linkage in a 428 Cobra Jet. When I was done, a 12-year-old girl could have pushed the clutch in, no problem.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 06-24-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:11 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Yeah, been there. It's called the 'heat affected zone'.
Yep, I noticed it going South on Father's Day on a day trip to Cape May. Made it home, but knew something was going wrong. Live and learn. I was going to stick with the mechanical linkage and use the later model bell housing, but the fulcrum adapter was on back order from CJ's and guess what came yesterday.

Probably sell the T5 adapter plate and the fulcrum spacer. Won't be going back to that anytime soon after feeling the cable clutch.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:17 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Last summer I rebuilt the linkage in a 428 Cobra Jet. When I was done, a 12-year-old girl could have pushed the clutch in, no problem.
Not mine. The z-bar looked to be welded in the middle of the tube and the bottom bar was cut and welded. The bottom rod that connected the bar to the fork was adjustable, I didn't think the 66's were. The fork was cut and I will have to look at the part number, but I don't believe original.

Could have bought a kit, but at $179 or so, thought the cable was a good idea.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:44 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Clutch fork is from a 68 Mustang, Fairlane or Falcon. No wonder with such a hodge podge it didn't work smoothly. Oh and when I replaced the z-bar bushings I found a couple of surprises. Too complicated to explain, but let's just say there was sleeving, no c-clips, screws, nuts and drilled spacers. Uggghhh
Old 06-24-2010, 11:41 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

hEY SCOOTCHA

i have the same vibe and have since i installed the T5. i have swapped the trans with a new one, replaced the yolk and the shaft. I also replaced the rear end and reset thepinion angle. I still have the vibe. it drives me nuts but i am tired ofit so i ignore it.

i am going to shim the rear end next and see if that helps
Old 06-25-2010, 12:19 AM
Gun Jam

how is shimming the rearend going to help? The dang thing isn't even spinning. (I think he made the test with the car stopped)

-Gun
Old 06-25-2010, 08:02 AM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Yep, It get the vibration without the rear wheels spinning with the clutch pedal in and out, but without the trans it didn't seem "as noticeable". I am thinking that the tranny mounted transmits the vibration from the engine to the car body and makes it more noticeable.

Quick Reply: Oh my God! How many times can I remove my tranny???