Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

sloppy steering even at stop?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 01:27 PM
eatmyjeep
1st Gear Member

Default sloppy steering even at stop?

well I just got my car shipped home and i wanted to get this thing handling right, so...... i replaced

-URL's
-ball joints
-lower control arms
- 1 1/8 sway bar with new bushings
-kyb gas ajust. shocks
- rebuilt power steering control valve
-replaced leaky hoses
- did shelby drop

some because I read it was a good upgrade and others because when i got in there it needed it.. every thing else seemed fine

Got an alinement, and theres still slop in the steering 3in from both sides of center. total of a good 6in. even wile stoped. Is this a worn out steering box?
Old 07-01-2010, 02:15 PM
BlackSpirit
2nd Gear Member

That's what is sounds like to me. Those old boxes are pretty much guaranteed to be loose by now.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:07 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

You need to have some one turn the steering wheel while the other watches the Pittman arm; if it moves more than 1/8" of wheel travel b4 the pittman moves you need an adjustment at a minimum. If it has a 6 inch "deadzone" - time to replace the steering gearbox.jlg
Old 07-01-2010, 03:42 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Probably time for a replacement box.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:27 PM
eatmyjeep
1st Gear Member

im starting to think this might not be to way in the long run, does anybody know anything about the steeroids rack n pinion set up. Theres one guy on here that really seems to like it, but i was wondering if anybody else has any info or experience with it.

Thanks,
Old 07-02-2010, 03:00 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Flaming River replacement boxes are fine. The factory type steering is just as tight as an R&P but for a lot less money. R&P is nice if you need the space in the engine compartment for something like a Modular swap.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

The factory steering boxes are adjustable. The procedure is in the factory service manual (which is a required book) and is pretty straightforward. A small torque wrench is the only special tool needed. It might be worth a shot before you replace it.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:35 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

While the factory boxes CAN be adjusted, it's only going to take up a bit of slack from minor wear. What the OP is describing sounds like a sector gear and shaft that are on it's last legs, far beyond being adjustable.

It never hurts to try, but I can guarantee the box is shot.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:55 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Oxnard Montalvo
The factory steering boxes are adjustable. The procedure is in the factory service manual (which is a required book) and is pretty straightforward. A small torque wrench is the only special tool needed. It might be worth a shot before you replace it.
Very very true. It is imperative to follow the procedure in the manual. Amazing the results you can get, merely by adjusting properly.

Since his car has PS, it is extremely unlikely that his gearbox is worn out, since the PS boosts below the gearbox, taking almost all the pressure off the box.

When you said "there's still slop in the steering 3in from both sides of center. total of a good 6in. even wile stopped." I hope you had the engine running while you tested this, as without hydraulic pressure the control valve can travel nearly an inch. Before you panic and spend hundreds of dollars, determine where the "play" is. Might be the gearbox, might be a poorly adjusted control valve.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:02 PM
eatmyjeep
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Very very true. It is imperative to follow the procedure in the manual. Amazing the results you can get, merely by adjusting properly.

Since his car has PS, it is extremely unlikely that his gearbox is worn out, since the PS boosts below the gearbox, taking almost all the pressure off the box.

When you said "there's still slop in the steering 3in from both sides of center. total of a good 6in. even wile stopped." I hope you had the engine running while you tested this, as without hydraulic pressure the control valve can travel nearly an inch. Before you panic and spend hundreds of dollars, determine where the "play" is. Might be the gearbox, might be a poorly adjusted control valve.

yep car was running, How do i adjust the control valve correctly ? Bc when we put it back together we were a bit unsure

thanks,

Last edited by eatmyjeep; 07-03-2010 at 04:15 PM.

Quick Reply: sloppy steering even at stop?