Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 10-31-2010, 05:37 PM   #101
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1967 Ford Mustang Fastback

Looking good. Wheew, that is a lot of work.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
zmetalmilitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:02 PM   #102
5'Oclocksomewhere
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 71 BOSS

Good job!
5'Oclocksomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:54 AM   #103
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1988, Ford, GT

haha my friend has a shirt that says it is 5' Oclock somewhere
Old 11-01-2010, 02:43 AM   #104
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1967 Mustang convertible

WHAT??? What is this chassis saver stuff????? I need to do the same to my 67 vert, get in the rockers and all and spray them. Was thinking about using rags or peices of foam and wiping it in there.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...Picture146.jpg
1969 M35A2
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...s/EZM35A21.jpg
1976 PLDvK 53/59 (one of three in the U.S.)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...s/EZPLDVK1.jpg

"Collector of old machines, tractors, and all sorts of other crap"
EZFEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:51 AM   #105
bent metal
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 Mustang fastback

Awesome progress. You make me feel lazy. Naw, actually your work is motivating to me!! I love that your not cutting any corners, FANTASTIC!

I second the request for info on the chassis saver stuff. And, aren't the frame rails galvanized?
bent metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:58 AM   #106
69FB
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1969 Fastback
https://www.facebook.com/brad.duckworth.773

I love how you two thought ahead and did the chassis saver inside the frame rails. Great progress. I wish mine was going this fast.
69FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:10 AM   #107
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback

Thanks everyone! Yes as said before this has turned out to be a hundred times more work than what we expected. Having said that, I would rather do a little (or a lot haha) more work and do it right than just cut a bunch of corners just to get her done. After we finish this, anything else we take on in the future will hopefully be a cake walk

The Chassis Saver is similar to POR15, I thought I would just take the definition off their website since a couple of you wanted to know more about it:

Chassis Saver’s unique "RUST STOPPING" properties permit its application directly over tightly adhered rust after only marginal surface preparation using a wire brush and/or hand scraper to remove loose scale and rust particulate. Optimum results can be achieved by sandblasting a medium blast profile to surfaces. Chassis Saver bonds to blasted and rusty metal to form a rock hard yet flexible, glaze-like, non-porous finish that won’t crack, chip, flake or peel. It works by isolating metal from oxygen and moisture, and without these factors present... RUST STOPS – Dead in its tracks! Chassis Saver cures by reacting with atmospheric moisture and its cured film resembles that of a catalyzed finish yet no hardeners or activators are used. Chassis Saver is completely unaffected by road salt, gasoline, diesel fuel, oils, battery acids, hydraulic fluids, solvents, chemicals, or corrosives.

Bent Metal, I believe some of the panels were galvanized from the factory (top cowl, inner rockers, etc.) although as we all have seen, it didn't protect them forever.

Thanks again for the encouraging comments, we need them. I drilled out the spot welds on the drip rails last night while Aaron worked on the front end. I know, will it ever stop!?
Old 11-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #108
tcrote5516
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1967, Ford, Mustang

Great work!!! Nice to see when people do the "thankless" work right. This is the stuff no one asks about at shows, or stares at when you drive by, but its the difference between a "restoration" and a car with new paint and shiny wheels. This FB will be around for a long time to come thanks to your hard work! Thanks for bringing another one back from the dead!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #109
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1966 Mustang Coupe

Great job, not sure who's more concerned about rust, you or me. I did the same with POR15.
That's the same gun SEM uses for bedliner, I guess they all use it. I never thought about making a ghetto gun so I picked up one of these http://www.eastwood.com/undercoating...es-bottle.html Once all the paint is complete on the car I'm going follow up with body wax http://www.eastwood.com/ew-heavy-dut...rust-32oz.html

Again, great job!!! I look forward to seeing the progress.
mr_velocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #110
Bart_man

Vehicle: 2007 Mustang GT convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
Nothing beats a REAL car gal! Got any sisters?

WANTED: car gal with garage and tools like this one....Send pic of garage and tools.
Bart_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:10 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1968, 200, 68, 71, classic, down, fastback, fold, ford, i6, lines, mustang, mustangs, non, project, sale, vacuum, woman