Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A woman's project: 68 Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 08:31 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all your kind and encouraging words.

Speaking of rust, the battle continues. The last couple nights have been dark and cold here so it has been hard to stay at the shop for a long time. The cradle for the Rod & Custom will be here at the end of the week so we put the front end on hold until then. We moved to the dreaded drip rail replacement. I forgot my camera so I had to use my phone again.

Here are a couple pics:

Moving on to the rear section:

Aaron got a little excited when I was removing the drip rails. I turned around and saw this! He's funny isn't he...

Last edited by NoReins; 11-02-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:21 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

You guys are making great progress and I love your shop space. I dream about something like that.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:44 PM
bent metal
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bart_man

WANTED: car gal with garage and tools like this one....Send pic of garage and tools.
Wait, wait!!! Where do I get in line?

Everytime my wife comes out in the garage she gets a look on her face like something stinks, and she holds her hands up so her manacure doesn't get scratched. Then she turns around and says, "Your dinners ready!". ...On her way out.

Hey No Reins, if your sister looks anything like your James Bond girl avatar? Send her over! And tell her to bring her spot welding drill!
Old 11-03-2010, 07:22 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bent metal

Hey No Reins, if your sister looks anything like your James Bond girl avatar?
Tsk tsk

Angelina Jolie you mean? Or in that picture, Mrs. Smith?

Looking great NoReins!
Where did you get your drip rail moldings?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:23 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

You guys are too funny. Yes, we are blessed to have the building and the tools thanks to my generous father in law, and of course my talented husband who is making it happen. BUT... w/o me there would be no mustang project because he is a GM guy -eek!

Drip Rails...
Mustangs Unlimited, they are dynacorn.

Last edited by NoReins; 11-03-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:11 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NoReins

Drip Rails...
Mustangs Unlimited, they are dynacorn.
Sweet! I'm about an hour and a half away from them, thanks for the info! I'm considering removing mine all together though, time (and my budget) will tell for sure, haha.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:32 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

So I wasn't going to post an update of what we did tonight but then I looked at the pictures and got so excited! We have been working very hard to finish up the metal work to put her back on the rotisserie so we can move it into another garage that will be warmer for the winter. It's already like 30 degrees here and pretty soon it won't be possible to keep working in this building. Ohh Ohio..

This is a custom jack pad from Mustangs to Fear.. COOOOL! We just wanted to mock it up, out of excitement of course:

Since we're going with the Rod and Custom suspension in the front, they require the shock towers removed. These custom inner aprons from Mustangs to Fear are what we are going with instead of the small patch panels that R&C supply with the kit. Again, just mocking it up; cradle needs to be welded in before these get welded:

Old 11-04-2010, 09:34 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

That new jack pad and the shock tower/inner fender apron panel replacements look great!
This really is going to be one of the best Eleanors around, both looks and especially performance!
Old 11-05-2010, 05:43 AM
5'Oclocksomewhere
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NoReins
I noticed no one said anything about these. Deluxe Shelby seatbacks right? That's pretty awesome and those look to be like new. Are they reproducing these now?

I have not seen anything like those custom side panels, it sure cleans up the look of the engine bay. Keep up the good work.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:28 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Yes the repro the seat backs, but definitely not the stainless trim. These however are original Ford. We puchased these on ebay for about half the cost they go for listed properly. That is what we've done all along, collecting parts when we find a good deal. I guess I haven't been putting the parts on so here are some more things we have found over the past year:

Sent away to Shelby to have signed...

Original gauge cluster, reset to zero, and refinished. New deluxe bezel:

Quick Reply: A woman's project: 68 Fastback