Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A woman's project: 68 Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 09:50 AM
fordmus67tang

Originally Posted by bent metal
Wait, wait!!! Where do I get in line?

Everytime my wife comes out in the garage she gets a look on her face like something stinks, and she holds her hands up so her manacure doesn't get scratched. Then she turns around and says, "Your dinners ready!". ...On her way out.

Hey No Reins, if your sister looks anything like your James Bond girl avatar? Send her over! And tell her to bring her spot welding drill!
LOL!.. My girl friend is the same way!
Old 11-05-2010, 02:07 PM
bent metal
2nd Gear Member

No Reins, this is a fantastic build. I'm really enjoying seeing the progress and the amount of effort you and your husband are putting toward this car, and doing everything as good as possible. It's awesome. Don't ever sell it.

Is this all in real time, as you post updates? Seems like your getting things done fast. ... Maybe I'm just really slow.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:46 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fordmus67tang
LOL!.. My girl friend is the same way!
Sounds like you guys need to find a new woman! Just Kidding..

Originally Posted by bent metal
No Reins, this is a fantastic build. I'm really enjoying seeing the progress and the amount of effort you and your husband are putting toward this car, and doing everything as good as possible. It's awesome. Don't ever sell it.

Is this all in real time, as you post updates? Seems like your getting things done fast. ... Maybe I'm just really slow.
Well you all probably have lives, we don't No for real, we both work full time, no kids...work about 2 hours every night on the car and a couple more on the weekends. But like I said before, we are working like dogs to get this thing ready for paint! Thanks for the encouraging words. I don't see selling in the future, at all.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:32 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

Hey, awesome job so far. My wife hardly comes into the shop either, so to you working together is really cool. The only time my wife comes in is when she wants me to fabricate a trellis, plant hanger, etc... At least to her if the welders can be used to make a plant stand its all good.

So, glad to see the team work, and it'll be a sweet car when its done.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:43 PM
nassaubayman
3rd Gear Member

A previous owner of my '67 convertible replaced just about every piece of sheet metal on the car, including the inner fenders. By doing so, he removed the VIN number (it was stamped on the driver's side inner fender). He notified the state about it - they came out and inspected the car, then issued a new VIN. It's on a small plate, similar to the Shelby VIN plate you bought, riveted to the door frame. I also have the original VIN on a buck tag that the previous owner screwed to the inner fender near the hood hinge, but my title has the new VIN.

Since you removed your inner fenders, you could be in the same situation. How are you going to handle that?
Old 11-05-2010, 11:59 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nassaubayman
Since you removed your inner fenders, you could be in the same situation. How are you going to handle that?
That's a good point, never thought to ask that.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:36 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nassaubayman
Because the car had an Ohio title prior to us purchasing it, it doesn't require an inspection. However, just to cover ourselves in case a situation were to arise, we are saving the old fender apron vin stampings. We will send these Shelby vin plates away to be stamped with our vin #. And under no circumstance would we ever try to pull this as being a real Shelby, it's all for the looks. Here is where the plates will go:

Got a couple more things done lately, welded in the custom jack pad:

View from underneath:

Patched, clean and preped the frame rails for the cradle:

While Aaron was welding, I cleaned and primed both lower and upper cowls. Next step will be seam sealer and then paint:

Lastly we replaced the driver's side, rear part of the drip rail. What a nightmare:

(Again, we are using copper weld thru primer - just making sure no one thinks that the orange looking stuff is rust)
Old 11-06-2010, 03:49 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NoReins
Because the car had an Ohio title prior to us purchasing it, it doesn't require an inspection. However, just to cover ourselves in case a situation were to arise, we are saving the old fender apron vin stampings. We will send these Shelby vin plates away to be stamped with our vin #. And under no circumstance would we ever try to pull this as being a real Shelby, it's all for the looks. Here is where the plates will go:
I'd be less worried about the state or inspection and more worried about your insurance company claiming "they didn't insure that car." Make sure what ever number you put back on the car is good with the insurance company, in writing with photos. Loss of the car is bad enough, a huge liability claim could destroy your future.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:12 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
I'd be less worried about the state or inspection and more worried about your insurance company claiming "they didn't insure that car." Make sure what ever number you put back on the car is good with the insurance company, in writing with photos. Loss of the car is bad enough, a huge liability claim could destroy your future.
No concern here, my husband and I are both insurance agents, in fact my whole family is - Got it covered Thank you for your concern. As previously said, the car will carry the correct VIN and will be insured with an Agreed Upon Value which will require photos and an appraisal.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:09 PM
5'Oclocksomewhere
1st Gear Member

Are you going to open up the vents or leave them closed off and paint them black like the new "mustangs"? Does your Mustang 2 suspension have coilovers?

Quick Reply: A woman's project: 68 Fastback