Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A woman's project: 68 Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 07:31 AM
fordmus67tang

Awesome progress and no doubt this mustang will look phenomenal once it's completed. Great job guys.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:41 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5'Oclocksomewhere
Are you going to open up the vents or leave them closed off and paint them black like the new "mustangs"? Does your Mustang 2 suspension have coilovers?
Are you talking about the upper quarter vents? Yes they will be open, I'm not a fan of fake scoops. Yes the Mustang II suspension will have coilovers, we paid a little more for this option but overall I think it's worth it...

Originally Posted by fordmus67tang
Awesome progress and no doubt this mustang will look phenomenal once it's completed. Great job guys.
Thank you!!

Here is a pic of the cowl painted. Tonight we will clear.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:53 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

First time painting ever, definitely exciting! The hub even let me shoot the clear!

Old 11-09-2010, 08:00 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Now comes the tricky part, how you going to mask under the vents so when you spray the car you don't mess up all that beautiful work. I wasn't successful, somehow white overspray got to mine.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:43 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Exciting!

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
Now comes the tricky part, how you going to mask under the vents so when you spray the car you don't mess up all that beautiful work. I wasn't successful, somehow white overspray got to mine.
I think a few layers of tape on the underside of the upper cowl would do it. Then beef up one end of the tape with lots of extra tape, punch or cut a hole through it, then tie a string through it and run the string out the drainage hole on the side. Then after paint you pull the string and assuming the beefed up tape holds, it'll peel off and be pulled towards the drain. Of course wait till the paint dries to do so.

That sounds a bit confusing but its the best idea I can come up with.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:18 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Good question. I think what we'll do is cut a few pieces of cardboard to slide inside the cowl as well as several bunched up pieces of masking paper. We shouldn't have any problems doing it this way if we are careful. We are also cutting front vents in the cowl similar to the way Unique Performance and others have done so this will make access much easier.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:27 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

First time I've seen those vents cut like that, why do it? Are you concerned about pulling in air that isn't "fresh"?
Old 11-10-2010, 07:45 AM
ozarks06
2nd Gear Member

Those vents look like a recipe for an interior that smells like oil (or worse). I'd be worried about CO in the cabin if you have a header or other exhaust leak.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:55 AM
fordmus67tang

Originally Posted by NoReins
Good question. I think what we'll do is cut a few pieces of cardboard to slide inside the cowl as well as several bunched up pieces of masking paper. We shouldn't have any problems doing it this way if we are careful. We are also cutting front vents in the cowl similar to the way Unique Performance and others have done so this will make access much easier.

That's a sweet idea! My concern would be pulling in the hot air coming from the motor instead of fresh air from the outside. It might be a good idea to use a sheetmetal and screw it on top to close it? Kinda like a floorpan plug. What about the structural rigidity? Not sure if it would cause an issue.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:00 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

The purpose of the vents is to aid in engine bay cooling. With the vents cut open it allows the hot air to escape, easier. It allows hot air to enter through the slits and out through the top of the cowl. With Old Air Product's A/C system, they close off the "fresh air" vents so we don't have to worry about any engine fumes or smells entering in the cabin. Another plus to cutting open these vents is access to the cowl for easier cleaning.

Quick Reply: A woman's project: 68 Fastback