Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A woman's project: 68 Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 04:22 PM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NoReins
You guys!!!! I will not kill this thread, I just thought it was getting a little long and interest was lost. As long as you all are in for another 44 pages, I'll keep onnnn posting Thank you for all those nice words, too - I sometimes wonder if I post too many details, pictures, etc, but I sincerely want to help others. Therefore I am glad to know that you are getting something out of it. Thanks again for the support! I promise to not leave y'all hanging!

Red07Pony - the car will be at the show. I've tossed around not taking it but I think it will motivate us to get our butts moving. We will aim for it to be a full primer, rolling shell, almost ready for paint. Looking forward to meeting you.
...keep on postin'

Look forward to it as well, I'm totally excited about the show. I love the cbus caravan ride up...half the fun Trust me you will get tons of motivation from the show. I would image you won't have a dull moment with people talking restoration with you.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:46 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Ok so since the car will be at the All Mustang show at Summit Racing August 6th, we have only a little over a month to get this thing presentable. Realizing this, it has certainly kicked us in gear! (And I'm nervous already!) Anyways, we started a list of what we need to have done by then and...it's long. But we did manage to knock a few off the list today.

Roll bar mounts welded in. If you are wondering why we didn't do this before we sprayed the interior, we had to wait for the mounts to arrive so we had to improvise. The Raptor is easy to blend and touch up so it isn't a problem.

We finalized fitting the bumper. We might put the tail lights in for the show.

We spent quite a bit of time getting the gaps between the panels as good as we could without any bodywork. Finalizing the bodywork is next on the agenda.

This guy has been with us since day one.

Last edited by NoReins; 07-02-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:26 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

When you guys did the priming on any new metal parts with the E coat on them did you sand all of it off before you epoxy primed it? Can you just epoxy prime directly over scuffed E coated metal parts?
Lynn
Old 07-06-2011, 06:12 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

LynnBob, yes. As long as the e-coat is scuffed very well with 80 grit so that no shine is left. Then use grease and wax remover and allow to dry for 30 minutes or so.

We finally got the rockers bonded on and in primer:

Old 07-07-2011, 03:50 PM
MajMotorsports
1st Gear Member

here is some pictures to inspire you! I found them today, and the guy took this car to Carlisle this year:http://www.flickr.com/photos/killerb...th/5899546641/

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...leanor-mustang - includes some other pics, plus recreation shots

keep up the good work, I am stuck between a rock and a hard place, i want my next mustang to be an Eleanor or a New Shelby GT500, cant make up my mind, doesnt help that I have an Eleanor Poster right above my laptop and Shelby SuperSnake poster next to it, haha.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:53 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the info here and on my other thread as well!!
I got some Epoxy primer at the paint store the other day, so I'll get at it here in a day or so.
Lynn
Old 07-10-2011, 05:49 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Thank you for the inspiration pictures. We actually know the owner of the car and spent some time with him at Carlisle. Those pictures are fabulous!

So tell me if I'm sharing too much detail. The past weekend has been a challenge as I'm finally fighting some inner negativity. As much as I want to send her to the paint booth, she still needs a lot of love. I sanded so much this weekend I had my whole right hand taped with masking tape to keep the blood off the car, and I had a Bud Light Lime in my left to keep my sanity. If you think I'm joking, I'm not. Here is what I came up with:

Old 07-11-2011, 11:40 AM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

No need to get discouraged or rushed. The progress you guys have been making is great. Personally I look forward to all the new pictures. Not too much detail for me
Old 07-11-2011, 09:07 PM
stangcoupe1970
2nd Gear Member

this step is crucial, the more time you spend here the better the finished product will be and you'll be that much happier.

plus now you can say you have blood sweat and tears in it. [god knows mine is in the 70 too]
Old 07-11-2011, 09:24 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

Its not 'your' car until you christen it with the red stuff. I've left my mark on every car I've ever owned at one point or another.

Quick Reply: A woman's project: 68 Fastback