Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A woman's project: 68 Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 03:47 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

simply incredible. wow.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:59 PM
BigIron22
1st Gear Member

All i have to say is wow! I just found this thread. I'm am going to have to run over there on Monday and see this car, if it hasn't left yet. I live about 15 minutes from this shop. I actually worked for at place in this same complex back in 96 when I was in high school.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:23 AM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

The car is looking great! I really need to get moving on mine!

So I know y'all haven't been idle all this time, have you been doing anything else in prep when she returns? Buying parts etc?
Old 05-19-2013, 04:33 PM
67Stang68
2nd Gear Member

All I can say is wow! I can't think of a better way to spend 2hrs than to follow along on your exciting journey. Do you know if the painter used the Shelby specs for stripes or are they the same width the whole length of the car?
Old 05-19-2013, 05:28 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Thank you all! I think it looks good too and can only wish to see her in person!

Originally Posted by BigIron22
All i have to say is wow! I just found this thread. I'm am going to have to run over there on Monday and see this car, if it hasn't left yet. I live about 15 minutes from this shop. I actually worked for at place in this same complex back in 96 when I was in high school.
Yes she's still there and probably will be for awhile yet. Have fun while you're there!! I'm jealous you live so close. That's cool that you used to work there! Give my lady a hug and kiss.

Originally Posted by Stangatic
The car is looking great! I really need to get moving on mine!

So I know y'all haven't been idle all this time, have you been doing anything else in prep when she returns? Buying parts etc?
Thank you! Actually no we haven't really been buying parts since we've accumulated most of them over the past 3-4 years. Every birthday, Christmas, and Anniversary have been Mustang filled. Actually this past birthday was the sole time I've gotten something non-car related and I'm like...hmm this is weird! We just need the transmission and then it's go time. Just waiting for the car. What have we been doing in our spare time? Well we like to drive the Challenger as much as possible, going to shows, etc. We also just got home from Mecum Indy today which is always an absolute BLAST. We also have a '69 Mach 1 in the garage that we've been tinkering with. No rust on the car, just sprucing up, putting together and I'm going to use it as my first paint job.

I agree I think it's time to get working on your project!

Originally Posted by 67Stang68
All I can say is wow! I can't think of a better way to spend 2hrs than to follow along on your exciting journey. Do you know if the painter used the Shelby specs for stripes or are they the same width the whole length of the car?
Thank you! I never intended it to be the never ending thread but it sort of worked out like that. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Anyways, yes he used the Shelby specs for the stripes.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:44 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

What kind of transmission are you going with?

Any clue when you'll be going down to pick it up?

I have actually been in parts accumulation mode too and have run out of room got the majority of the metal and the engine. Was getting ready to buy the body kit but i'm about to get a 20% pay cut through September. So I think I'll get it some time this upcoming winter.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:06 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

I did not know you picked up a 69 Mach 1. I know if my wife would let me and I had the money I'd have a 70-71 Barracuda or Challenger to drive as well. Glad to see the progress and don't forget the other 67 you have.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:25 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Stangatic, we are going to use a Tremc TKO600. We still haven't decided where we are going to order it from but we are probably going to use a hydraulic clutch as well. We have been putting it off because we don't want to spend the money. I don't know when we will bring her home, I'm guessing she will still be away for some time.

69FB, I'm in love with the Challenger. When we bought it, we had the full intention of selling it after a year. When the time came, we just couldn't do it. We had enjoyed it way too much to sell, and after owning it, you realize how few and far between these cars are. I love the high impact colors, and everywhere she goes, people say the same.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:42 PM
67Stang68
2nd Gear Member

If I may offer my two cents, I've done alot of research on tko as that is what I intend to use. If you look up tko shifting issues you will find a fair amount of people who had issues. In order to fix those issues they sent it too liberty gears to mod it. Liberty sells brand new tko's that they apply the mod too "upgraded - synchronized" they can be found at http://www.libertysgears.com/ttc2.htm , This is who I'm getting mine from, I spoke to them on the phone and they are really nice and know tko's
Old 05-24-2013, 09:49 AM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

The TKO will be a nice addition, but I do agree that the 2-3 up shift blows really bad under a fair amount of load. My father and I put a TKO 0600 in his 63 prostreet vette and was thoroughly disappointed at the shifting characteristics when in the higher RPMs. If you don't plan on letting the engine stretch it's legs, you shouldn't have any problem.

The only thing that I do suggestion is that you go with an the Mcleod Hydraulic setup with the internal self adjusting bearing. I have the Mustang Steve setup (External design) and while I do say that at the time it was well worth the money and still works great, having the internal self adjusting bearing is priceless. There is nothing more embarrassing then going on long cruises and finding out that the adjustment on the clutch needs to be tightened as you grind gears going down the road.....

Are you going to go with the MTF one piece headliner?

Quick Reply: A woman's project: 68 Fastback